20 (final)

Everything was still for a while, the air thick with anticipation.

Matt's nerves only rose until the circle eventually broke and roughly ten more bodies came forth, most of them dressed in fancy cloth. But they parted to reveal most regal of them all, The Queen of the Fairies, and the humble musician was stunned by her beauty.

She was adorned in shimmering golds and earthy browns and greens, wearing a loose gown that trailed behind her as she approached. Her long blonde hair was done up in perfect braids, topped with a shining crown no bigger than Matt's ring on his pinky finger.

But contrary to her extravagance she looked well beyond pissed off, and he was immediately terrified.

"So you are the human my son is sneaking off to." She finally said after giving him a thorough look, stopping just inside the edge of the circle a few feet away.

"Y-yes, your majesty." Matt bowed, for once feeling nervous with so many eyes on him. He was used to crowds, but not like this. The entire future of human and fairy relations was riding on his socially unskilled shoulders.

"I've come to request an exception." He said as he returned upright, trying to keep his voice steady and professional despite his intimidation.

"We do not make exceptions to the rules. Too many humans have broken and tainted our trust in the past." The queen replied curtly. "The decision I gave these two was final and I am disappointed to find it not followed through, so I will be dealing with it myself."

She shot Cyrill and Ezriel a look of pure disapproval, and held her hand out for the prince to return the spell. Both of them looked away in shame as Ezriel obliged, handing the bag over.

"Your knowledge of us is too dangerous." She continued.

Matt's expression fell, his formality quickly melting into desperation as the spell was passed to her hands. She didn't seem like someone to hesitate on using it like Ezriel had.

"But I won't tell a soul!" He pressed, his breaths quickening. "I have no one to tell and nobody would believe me anyways--" He began to ramble like he always did when he was worried. He had nothing to offer but he still had to fight this, for Ezriel's sake-- "I- I'll give you my name, I'll make a promise to keep it a secret, I'll take whatever conditions you want, I swear I won't break your trust, just, please don't do this."

A couple of gasps echoed through the crowd, and Matt hadn't even realized what he said until he said it, but the queen didn't bend.

"...I have no interest in making deals with humans." She answered after a few moments, absorbing everything he had said with a strange look in her eye.

At the mention of a deal, Ezriel was reminded that theirs was still standing, and he promptly asked to say a proper goodbye and revoke it. His mother allowed it with a nod, watching him carefully as he flew to the center of the ring to break things off once more.

Only this time, he didn't speak. Instead he drifted close to Matt's face and stared at him lovingly, his eyes full of pain and longing. What could he say to the person who treated him like he's always wanted? The one who took and held his heart in gentle hands- and Ezriel did not want him to let it go. He'd been given many treasures in life, but he'd give up everything he owned just to be with him once more.

He reached out a small hand and lifted his human's chin with a tender, caring touch.

And he leaned in close and brought their lips together.