|20|

Barre

(This chapter contains themes that may be disturbing to some readers.
TW/ SA)

Rage is something I used to release at will. It's not something I kept inside, something I hid. Now, it is shoved down deep, locked away without a way out as I stare at the enemy walking ahead of me. He may be held captive, but I want more.

I pin Elodie to my chest, relieved that she's okay, for the most part. She did not come out of the incident completely unscathed, and for that I blame myself.

Someone handed Locanas a rag to hold to his massively bloody face. Every drop of the purple liquid spilt is more than deserved. Kindness towards him is not. He has not earned mercy.

It takes everything in me not to rush forward to finish the job of killing him. I dream of how completely easy it would be to end his existence.

We walk down the hallways of the palace, up the whirling staircases and through ornate doorways. I carry Elodie the whole way, listening to her beautiful words every step of the way.

She clutches at my clothes, murmuring to me.

"Thank you for saving me. I just knew you would come back. Please, don't leave me again." Elodie whispers, and guilt stabs my chest.

I have failed her. This is why I never should have tried to be a mate for her, I'll never be enough.

"I'm so sorry, tiny. No one will touch you again. I will try harder to be the male you need. I'm not sure if I can live without you." I touch Elodie's bright red locks, wondering how I will ever win her trust back.

Or if I even deserve it.

Elodie doesn't react to my words, still unaware of what they mean.

After some debate with Fray, we decided to leave the kitchens and bring a bloodied Locanas to the Emperor. The Emperor is the highest authority on Rytaria, and he serves justice in serious situations such as these.

And serious it is. I want a harsh punishment dealt, I will settle for nothing less. Execution or life in prison. I'll be happy with either, though death would be the more fair option. It would be even better if get to put an end to his life.

Seeing Elodie's clothes torn open like that, her tears and desperate cries... just thinking of them makes me hot with anger. I demand revenge.

I pull her up, covering my little Elodie better, hiding her from any and all eyes. Fray's mate, Soleil constantly tries to check up on my female. I realize that they are friends, but I'm still protective. Any being trying to get close to tiny has my hackles rising.

Soleil nears me, walking on her toes to try to catch a glimpse of what's mine. I grunt, lifting the little human in my arms higher. The smaller, pregnant female huffs in annoyance. Her black eyebrows furrow in frustration, and for a moment I think she's considering climbing me to get to her friend. Too bad. Elodie is mine. I've decided it.

As long as she agrees.

"Enough, my mate. Do not upset him, he is dangerous. His threat level is.." I turn my gaze to General Fray to glare at him. It's enough to shut his mouth.

I adjust Elodie's body in my arms uncomfortably as she sniffles, her green eyes on me curiously at my shift in demeanor. I'm glad for once that she can't understand the Rytarian language.

I've never been comfortable with people speaking of my threat level. I don't care for the attention.

"Here we are." Fray speaks, gesturing to the large doors with his head, holding tightly to his mate's shoulders. "Maybe you should stay out here, my heart."