Chapter 21

*A/N: Chapter 21 is in the house, let’s goo! Batfamily vacation time, anyone?? Both fluff and angst are in the future!

    “After everything that’s happened lately, you want to go on vacation.” Tim’s mouth hung open slightly in disbelief.

    “I think it’s a great idea,” said Dick, a smile playing around his lips. “We could all do with some rest and relaxation, some fun in the sun, some--”

    “I would rather impale myself on a katana stick,” deadpanned Damian. Dick stared at his little brother with a pout.

    “But it would be family bonding time, Dami. You’ve never been on a family vacation with all of us before. The last time we went on a family vacation was…” He screwed up his face, trying to think. The last time all of them were together. When was it?

    “Was Paris,” said Jason roughly from his position leaning in the doorway.

    A pregnant silence filled the room. Tim and Damian shared a sideways glance; they’d never been to Paris as a family.

    Bruce, who had called the family meeting to discuss the idea (sans Grace, since she was asleep upstairs-- or pretending to be, anyway), leaned back heavily in his armchair, gaze drifting up to the ceiling, lost in memories.

    Jason eyed him critically.

    “Stop that, old man,” he said finally, sharply, voice heavy, and Bruce snapped out of his daze.

    “It’s just-- I was thinking about what you said about the escargot, in that five star restaurant--”

    Dick burst out laughing from Bruce’s other side and Tim and Damian exchanged another bewildered look.

    Bruce bit his lip and shot Jason, who was still standing rigidly against the door with his arms crossed over his chest, a faux-apologetic look.

    “Father, you have never taken me to Paris,” scowled Damian, eyebrows raised sharply, inquisitively.

    But Tim saw that Jason’s jaw tightened with every mention of the word ‘Paris’ and discreetly elbowed Damian in the ribs (praying he wouldn’t retaliate).

    “Where would we go if we went?” Asked Tim, in an attempt to tactfully change the subject from the past to the future. It worked.

    “I was thinking an Island resort would be nice,” said Bruce. “I don’t know if Grace has ever been to the beach. We can just all relax and spend some time together. What do you boys think?”

    “You know it’s a yes from me,” said Dick. Bruce looked expectantly at Damian.

    “If I might see a shark,” said Damian thoughtfully, perking up significantly after a moment of contemplative silence, “If I might see a shark approach Drake in the water, I suppose I’ll go.”

    “Gee, thanks,” said Tim sarcastically. “I guess. I mean, if we’re going, I’ll go, but I’ll have to bring my work.”

    “No,” said Bruce immediately, “Tim, you work too much. This is supposed to be a break. I’ll arrange for somebody else in Wayne Enterprises to take over for the week.”

    Tim crossed his arms and looked argumentative.

    “Well, I’m not going,” Cut in Jason, and he left the room without another word.

    “...Tt, just as well,” said Damian, looking insulted.

*****

    “Please come, Jason,” said Bruce tiredly.