FATE OF THE FUTURE

"How?"

Lara had woken up in an unfamiliar bedroom. It was regal and old, making her realize it was not in any district. She was at the mansion.

When she woke, Elias was sitting in a chair in the corner beside her bed. He reassured her she was safe and that the war was over, prompting her to ask questions.

He got up and walked to the door, telling the guard outside to inform Coin that Lara was awake. She became impatient and repeated her question with more urgency.

He sighed and stood at the end of the bed, "Once the bombs fell, Snow's guards turned on him. The gates fell and the last of his defenses surrendered to Paylor and her army."

That's when she remembered. The bombs. The children. The damage. It all came flooding back to her in a wave of foggy memories.

She was quick to anger. Despite her exhaustion and injuries, her steps were swift as she hopped out of the bed. She stormed up to her brother with zero hesitation.

"Did you know?"

He frowned, "Know what?"

"The bomb! The kids!" she shouted, "Did you know that they'd be sacrificed?"

His expression turned to disbelief. He thought she trusted him now, at least enough to know he'd never do that.

His nostrils flared as his temper rose but he tried to settle it. He clenched his jaw and crossed his arms, taking on a strong stance.

"No."

While his answer was confident, she was in denial. She shook her head and took a stumbling step back, "I don't believe you. You were willing to do anything to win the war."

He scoffed, "Lara, I've changed!"

He took a step forward to show how serious he was. He knew she needed to see his eyes to tell if he was lying or not. His voice softened at the mere thought of hurting innocent kids.

"Maybe in the beginning...yes, I would've made the choice that turned the tide."

Lara looked away in anger.

"But not anymore," he continued, "You're my little sister and you'd hate me forever if I was involved. I swear...I didn't know."

He was telling the truth. She could see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice. For once, she believed him with every bone in her body.

She nodded to show her faith. His lips turned upward in a small smile when he felt another piece of their broken relationship start to fix itself.

Moments later, a knock came from the door and Gale poked his head through.

"Coin called a meeting of the victors," he informed.

Lara nodded and took a deep breath before following him out of the room. He led her down the hallways until they reached a large conference room.

He opened the door to reveal several familiar figures standing around a circular table. Lara's eyes first drifted to the person closest to her.

"Beetee," she murmured. She saw he was still in his wheelchair, which he'd greatly modified.

He smiled in greeting and extended his arms out. She came closer and bent down to hug him as he sighed in relief at her safety.

"I'm glad you made it out, Lara."

She couldn't think of a response. Instead, she straightened up and saw Enobaria next to them. They merely exchanged nods of respect and acknowledgement since the two didn't really know each other on a personal level.