Chapter 35: Half of Seven

The moment we locked the rifle and switchblade in the weapons storage, a lilting alto spilled through hidden speakers, accompanied by a strumming guitar. 

"Freedom, freedom at last. Isn't there such joy in letting past be past? Why look over shoulders when the future's left to be? Forget all of your troubles and be free! Be free! Forget all of your troubles and be free."

Dread swamped my gut as Stogg's words echoed in my mind. Freedom is a fiction. Could he have been talking about the Refuge? But after spending years in a cell, how would he know more than anyone else?

Ivogg grinned and lifted his shoulders to his ears several times. "Well, there is our signal for curfew! Rekkan, you can accompany me to the Northern dormitory, and Zafaru, Zhina will bring you to the Southie corridors."

I hesitated, eyes on Rekkan. He pinched the platinum keycard between his fingers—still only feet from the weapons locker.

"Zafaru?" His eyes and voice, both so attentive, did funny things to my stomach. "Is something wrong? We can still turn back. We can return to the fortress."

The words appealed to me more than I was willing to admit, but I breathed an unconvincing laugh. "It's fine. You already promised Fennikk we would stay."

His exhale caught on his throat, almost vocalized. "That doesn't mean anything if you don't feel safe. Sleeping in opposite corridors, I won't be able to protect you."

"Southies have no reason to hurt me."

"You think they need a reason?"

Indignation replaced trepidation. "You know what I think? I think you're just worried about how you'll sleep without me."

He shifted his jaw forward and back. "I slept alone for eight years. Why would I worry about five days?"

I cocked my head. "So you won't miss me?"

Ivogg stepped toward us and wagged a finger in the air. "I hate to interrupt, but staying out past curfew is a big no-no! It's really time to—"

"Quiet," said Rekkan, lifting a palm toward Ivogg without looking away from me.

Ivogg shrank back and withdrew his finger. "Alrighty then."

Rekkan's eyes darted between mine. "Will... will you miss me?"

I met his gaze head-on. "Yes."

His lips twitched. "Ah. Well, I might miss you too."

"Might?"

He plucked my hand from his forearm and drew it to his lips, pressing a slow kiss to my knuckles. "Yep." He flipped my palm to kiss the inside of my wrist. "I might, but..." He tugged my wrist to spin me around and unzipped my backpack. "I'm keeping Fluffy."

He pulled out Fluffy's jar and transferred it to his own pack.

I huffed a disbelieving laugh. "You bastard."

"Hmm." His gaze grew serious. "Lock your door before you sleep."

I shook my head at him. "Rekkan, I'll be fine."

"And don't try to help anyone." He tapped my nose, lifting one severe eyebrow. "Especially not any creepy babies."

I swatted away his hand. "Rekkan! That was one time."

He cracked a smile. "Alright, alright. I'll see you at breakfast."

And Ether, I couldn't help but return that crooked smile. I snaked both hands around his neck and pulled him down for a kiss. His lips against mine were soft, warm, and reassuring, the perfect compromise between eagerness and restraint. Though our lips soon parted, my smile remained.