TRAVEL - 030

BONNIE
ALVAREZ

As if the period wasn't enough, I had a pillow stuck to my belly making my stomach even worse. Maddox, ofcourse, was happy about that with a crazy grin on his face.

"You look much better being pregnant," Maddox commented, "I told you my sleeping pillow would come in handy, buttercup." He flicked my nose and I glared at him.

The people waiting eyed us when I got the pillow under my oversized black shirt, Maddox seemed to like the show as he winked at me and grabbed his pillow.

"How did you know he was searching for us here?" I asked him and he rolled his eyes at my question.

"Because, dumbass, I know Charlie better than myself," his eyes stared off the distance with eyes hardened and jaw clenched, "that bastard betrayed me for money." He added and I had to admit, a part of me felt sad for Maddox.

He held my wrist when the sign flashed Germany and dragged me gently behind him as his eyes inspected the people around us, it was intense because we were so close to board on the plane and we needed to make sure our plan worked.

"Lower your head." He sharply ordered and we both lowered as a passing agent spoke into his walkie-talkie, I held my scarf tightly as we approached further to the alleyway that had the security gates so we could verify and get in the plane.

We were so close.

I felt my tears coming up when I thought about how my parents loved to go to Germany with me as a little kid, how they danced in the alleyway with wide smiles and held hands.

My heart couldn't take it anymore. I felt the world dim in my eyes but luckily, Maddox grabbed my hand and turned around to face me. I knew that he saw my weakness; my traumatic self. He saw eyes that weakened, a pale face and a trembling lower lip.

"Bonnie, bare with me, just until we pass the security gate," He said in a soothing voice, "do it for your brothers." He encouraged with his hand squeezing mine.

I had to do it, I had to take revenge on the last remaining person.

I felt like my body had woken up from the trauma and I willed my mind to be free, I squeezed back his hand in confirmation and he smirked.

"You look like a drunk skeleton." That was how he complemented people but I pushed it aside as we almost got closer to the gate with the security guard sitting and doing paperwork.

"Stop right there." A voice behind us echoed and I closed my eyes, praying that it wasn't who I thought.

A guy and a woman behind us were hassled by the agents and Maddox looked like he was about to laugh at their stupidity.

We approached the security guard because we had no time since the agents were right behind us. We gave him all the papers and our tickets, he stamped them and wished us a happy flight.

"Why Germany?" I asked him. His stormy eyes looked down into my aqua ones with a small smile of victory.

"To get the damn treasure, turns out Gary Alvarez was smart enough not to place it in San Diego, he hid the key beside your brothers and kept the secret location somewhere far." He explained and I never knew how much of a scam my father was but I was relieved that we found the location.

We took our seats near each other and sat down looking outside the tiny window, it was a funny sight when the agents kept turning around each plane hoping to catch us. We outsmarted them and it was a good move for us.

Our happiness didn't last much because Charlie came in the plane to sit directly in front of us. I had on my scarf and shades, Maddox had to stuff that pillow inside of me again. As much as I hated this, I couldn't let Charlie ruin my plan to ruin my own father.

We were on edge because the last thing we expected was Charlie to board with us and as the plane started to fly off, Maddox kept his shades on and a hat on, lowering his head as if he was sleeping.

It was going to be a long flight.

He linked his fingers with mine and I found myself glancing at our hands joined and feeling a tug in my stomach. I dismissed it as soon as I felt it, it definitely came from the pillow.

I fixed my hair in a tidy bun and Maddox automatically placed his hand back again with mine.

I realized that he held my hand often and it wasn't because of a plan or anything.

He wanted to hold my hand.

My eyes glanced at him since I had the seat next to the window and there were no people on the other side, I couldn't understand him, it was like he had electricity wires wrapped up around him, anyone that had to find out about him, they would be electrified.

Maddox was unknown to anyone except Charlie and I could understand why the only emotion he showed was from Charlie. As much as he toughened up towards reality, there was an obvious part of him that missed Charlie.

"We need to stay in our places, I don't even fucking know how he figured Germany out." He spoke his thoughts in whispers and I shrugged.

"Me neither, you don't tell me much." I said and he groaned in a low tone.

"I don't know what's with you girls, all dramatic and shit." He commented and I could see where he was coming from, he was used to girls for fun and not anything more.

"If you call being engaged and having to fly across the earth not dramatic then I don't know what is." I didn't mean to heighten my voice and all defensive.

But that seemed to capture Charlie's attention as he stood up from his seat and turned to us.