Chapter 31

Meanwhile back at the Lockwood manor, little Maisie had found her way into Mills' secret lab and was now sitting at a computer watching a video log made by the two raptor wranglers, namely Owen though since he was hired to train them.

"This is Delta, one of the three survivors of the second therapod group. Now watch this," Owen's voice instructed. "I show any sign of weakness whatsoever...."

Owen then pretended to cry as he curled up into a little ball.

Delta then screeched at him before lunging, only to bite onto the leather guard on Owen's arm.

"See that?" he said.

"Yeah, I saw it, Sailor," came a female voice from behind the camera.

The video then cut to Owen in front of the camera as he said, "Day 176 and Blue is showing unprecedented levels of compliance, specific to my partner, Anya Masrani. Here I am with Blue, she's the only surviving therapod from the first group," Owen introduced as he repeated the same action he did with Delta and Blue hesitated for a moment before lunging at him.

"And here is Anya with Blue."

Maisie couldn't help but think of how pretty the girl was as she knelt on the floor of the raptor room.

Anya pretended to cry as she curled into a ball, only for Blue to begin to purr as she nuzzled her nose into Anya's face, offering comfort.

"Hey, I'm ok," she smiled at Blue as she sat up, stroking the raptor before offering her a piece of food.

The video then cut back to Owen talking to the camera.

"She's pretty extraordinary," he said with a smile.

"Me or Blue?" asked Anya as she stepped into the frame.

"Why can't it be both?" Owen asked as Anya playfully wrapped her arms around his neck and swayed from side to side as she hugged him, his smile growing bigger.

"Ok, whoever is on the other side of this screen watching us," Anya said as she spoke to the camera. "I hope you enjoyed what happened today, because I know I going to since my best friend now has to buy me a drink because Blue listened to me and not him."

Owen sighed as she shook his head, but his smile never left his lips.

"Come on! Let's go!" Anya said as she began pulling him from his seat and the screen cut to another video of Anya and Blue with Owen's voice over the top.

"Blue, displaying levels of interest, concern, hyper-intelligence and cognitive bonding."

"See that? She's curious. She's showing empathy," Anya smiled as she locked eyes with Blue, moving her head from side to side as Blue mirrored her motions.

"Also has begun showing levels of compliance with me. Anya and I have posited the theory that they as female raptors, respond better to orders given by a female as opposed to a male."

Owen then repeated the exercise of pretending to show weakness and this time Blue acted concerned as he did with Anya.

Owen's face reappeared on the screen, this time Anya sitting next to him, listening and watching as he spoke about their raptors, her hair out rather than in a braid.

"Blue is the key. You have Blue, you can get these raptors to do anything. But Anya has to be the one giving the orders. She's just as important as Blue is," he said, and Anya laughed at her friend.

Owen turned to her as they smiled at each other before the screen went black and Maisie hid as people walked into the lab.

She had to find a way to stop them.

She had to tell her grandpa.