Trēs

Chapter Three: The Freesia Flowers

Chapter Three:  The Freesia Flowers

          The two priests arrived in the green front gate of the St

The two priests arrived in the green front gate of the St. Therese Charity House at exactly one o'clock in the afternoon. A nun peered through a small rectangular hatch and without delay, she opened the gate door to admit them.

"Bishop Elliot, it is good to see you again," the nun, wearing a black traditional habit, greeted with happiness. She had a soft smile on her face that formed enough wrinkles in the corner of her eyes.

"Sister Rhea, good to see you, good to see you," the Bishop greeted back, patting her shoulder at the same time. "Where is Sister Cene?"

"Ah, Sister Cene is in her office, Bishop. Shall I call for her?"

"No, no.  It is not needed. We will go there now," he noted, eyeing Father Azrael who followed behind them.

"Okay, Bishop," the nun nodded.

They continued walking down a brick courtyard, passing a small garden fountain before reaching the front portico of the house.

Both of the priests have now worn their robes. A white robe with a blue embroidered insignia of the risen Christ for the Bishop and for Father Azrael, his black ecclesiastic robe, being his typical exorcist accoutrement. An additional small sling bag was left hanging on his left shoulder — the contents of which the Bishop could only guess were exorcism-related.

Father Azrael, with a neutral expression, busily inspected the length of the house as they neared it.

The St. Therese Charity House was constructed during the early eighteen-fifties. It was first used as a local clinic in the first floor and the Governor's office on the second. After the end of the second cholera pandemic during the next year, the building remained a primary care clinic until it was transformed into an orphanage house in the late nineteen-seventies. The main supervisor was the governor of Soren, until she transferred the care, responsibility and the deeds to Bishop Elliot who was just assigned in the area.