Chapter 22 - Street Races

The one who falls and gets up is so much
stronger than the ones who never fell

"You fucking what! Do not lose the shipments or I'll have your ass on a platter," dad yells at his phone. Carmen and I look at each other deciding on whether it's a smart idea to bother him right now. The door opens as he shoves a half-beaten man up onto the ground. "Hey princesses," he smiles at us wickedly. He grabs the man by the collar of his shirt lifting him back onto his feet. "I have a present. Follow me," he says. "No please. I'll get you more stocks, we can steal them back," the man pleads as my father opens the basement door. Carmen and I share a knowing look. We were never and are never allowed in the basement. Not until we're trained enough. But I guess we are.

Carmen and I slowly walk down to the basement holding in our breath. Cells, chains, guns, knives, tool boxes, even fucking swords and so many more weapons. "Grab a weapon!" Father yells at us. Carmen and I walk over to them knowing not to disobey our father. I pick up a knife as Carmen picks up a screwdriver. "Take your hit. I want him dead and as painful as possible," dad finishes duct taping his mouth shut and Carmen and I slowly approach him. "A screwdriver," my dad laughs at Carmen. Carmen takes her knife stabbing it into the man's thigh. Hearing his muffled screams make me regret this. I shouldn't have come down here but what choice did I have?

"Your turn Charm," my father smirks. I stand there frozen. What if he's innocent, what if he has kids, a family? I'd be a murderer. "Carmen step back," father demands. She does as she's told and father walks up to me. He bends down to eye level looking me dead in the eye. "This man crossed me, fucked me over and you're going to kill him. With that pocket knife I got you for your birthday," he takes the knife I chose out of my hands and tosses it across the room. I reach into my pocket pulling out my red pocket knife. "Good girl, now kill him right now or I'm sending you to the pit," he orders. I hate the pit. Carmen and I have only been sent there once and never again. The torture, screams and blood still hangs in the back of my mind. I take my knife and slit the man's throat. He tumbles off his chair onto the ground left to bleed out. I'm sorry man. I did what I had to do.

"Charm, Charm," my eyes snap up seeing Leo shaking my shoulders.

"Don't fucking touch her," a new voice growls. I turn back seeing Chase push Leo back and grab me roughly. Usually I would snap but the memory I hold, I found, I remember is really fucking me over right now.

"She zoned out, what was I supposed to do," Leo puts his hands up in defence.

"Why're you even here with her anyways," Chase snaps.

"I was just having a smoke and she came to get water," Leo explains. Chase bends down to my face level examining my face and body.

"Did you give her a cigarette," Chase takes it from my hand holding it up. I didn't even realize I still had it.

"It's my fault. I took it," I force out. Leo gestures to me as he nods.

"Whatever. I'm taking her back to bed," Chase pulls my arm and drags me out of the room to the hallway. "Fuck could you walk any slower," he complains as I'm a few steps behind. He immediately stops turning to me and looking me in the eyes. My tear blurred eyes.

"Luck are you okay?" He finally asks. I try blinking away the tears but they just spill out. I'm a murderer. I killed a poor innocent man. I feel myself being lifted as my torso falls over Chase's shoulders.

I'm placed down onto a soft mattress and sit up realizing we're in Chase's room. "Luck, what's wrong," he repeats. I stay silent remembering my first ever kill. Tears start spilling out once again in front of Chase once again. I'm always vulnerable around him. He pulls me into a hug before pulling away.