Chapter 11

a/n: this chapter makes me laugh and want to cry and also really pisses me off so have fun, it's a hell of a ride

~September, 1995~

Jab cross hook

Today is September 24, 1995.

Slip hook uppercut

Today is my nineteenth birthday.

Punch

Punch

Punch

Two people were killed today. Two. And he left a note this time. A cruel keeping of an honest promise.

Happy Birthday, he said. I can't wait to see you again.

My fists fly faster. The punching bag swings towards me and I throw it back with a strong kick. I strike, and strike, and strike. There is nothing but the power in my knuckles and the bitter rage in my soul.

Someone grabs me from behind. Without thinking, I slam them to the floor, dropping a knee to their gut.

Jess grabs my wrists before I do something I'll regret. "Carli!" she shouts.

I freeze. Completely. My eyes widen as they finally see what's happening. Jess rolls me over so she's on top and I don't struggle as she pins my hands down. I take slow, deep breaths, trying to calm my pulse.

"What's wrong?" Jess asks. Worry lines appear on her brow, her pale green eyes wide with concern.

I sit up and she slides off me. We sit side by side on the floor, facing each other. "I'm sorry," I say quietly. I shake my head and move to stand. "I'm sorry."

She grabs my hand and pulls me back down. "You've been off all week. What's going on?"

I scan her features. She knows nothing about the case. Nothing. I can't tell anyone without endangering them. Murphy's been out for a year now—he's made connections. Dangerous ones.

I look away. "It's nothing. I'm fine."

Her grip tightens. "Tell me."

I don't meet her gaze as I say, "It's my birthday."

Confusion flickers in her feature but Jess quickly recovers. "Happy birthday?"

I let out a half-laugh, half-scoff. "Thank you so much."

Jess grabs my chin and turns me to face her. "Okay, explain."

"It's just not a good day," I mumble. "I... I don't know what else to say."

Jess stares at me for a long time. Finally, she nods. That's one thing I love about Jess. She doesn't pry. She doesn't ask questions she knows I can't answer.

"You up for a round?" she finally asks.

She gets to her feet and offers me a hand. With a sigh, I take it. "Don't go easy," I mutter.

She flashes a smile. "Never.""

We go for three rounds before I feel as if my feet are being swept out from under me. I mean, they are—the third round it takes Jess seven seconds to toss me to the mat and pin my arms over my head. I just close my eyes and groan.

She laughs. "I think we're done."

I let slip a small smile and open my eyes. Jess relaxes her grip and I grab her arm, rolling us over so I'm on top. I break through her guard and take mount, pinning her down.