(𝟹3) 𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚂𝚎𝚎

Maui Kylo is a man that defines the serene blowing of the spring wind breezing across blades of emerald grass.

And as first impressions are everything, my heart immediately warmed to the older Healer, who had kindly and patiently discussed the pros and cons of removing my voice chip behind a curtain in the ET room, as well as the procedure.

There was one con—bleeding out, should I have thin blood and low levels of platelets. Or possess a significant lack of nutrients.

Which I probably have, as living off of canned sustenance is not exactly a healthy or vitamin-infused diet. Regardless, I'm thankful I even have food to consume.

But in my eyes, the pros overshadowed that single con. 

Complete free speech, no fear of the Siren and Enforcers, no more restrictions and biting my tongue to refrain from letting a memory slip past my lips...

So, with Astrid by my side, I had told Maui that I would like to remove my chip as soon as possible. And with a curt, professional nod that indicated his time as a surgeon Before had been plentiful, he wrote my name down on a snowy sheet of paper. And had me sign.

I almost laughed at the formality of it—but once a doctor, always a doctor. 

The signature, a messy one I had invented on the spot, made everything seem more real. Gave me a solid aura of finality, one I embraced wholeheartedly. 

And with a smile that could ease the pain of death, Maui had told he'll see me in exactly two days, behind curtain number eleven, for the procedure—apparently, another rebel had scheduled to remove their chip before me. A girl named Emonie Adler, who had been brought to the Base a mere month ago by the deceased Sympathizer August Rio. 

The amount of rebels here is an amazingly large feat, I think to myself as I recline in a metal seat in the Mainframe room—and hold back my laugh as Astrid yells at a white-haired Communicator to stop talking, sit down, and monitor the damn screen.

Astrid's spirit is as vibrant as her heart—and a smile spreads along my face at the beautiful friendship I've formed amidst the violence and chaos outside. 

You win some, you lose some.

Caspian is gone, but Astrid is here. 

"Sullivan needs to stop acting like an untamed child." She mutters with a loud tap to her screen. My chuckle eases out of me at that. 

"We're all children on the inside." I say with a grin, and she throws an incredulous look my way.

"Don't let him hear you saying that." Is her warning as she slides her slender fingers across the large screen, scribbling down every number she sees—rebels that are out and on-duty today.

I almost long to be out there, too, with the steadying weight of responsibility upon my shoulders, the murky, desolate city air invading my lungs. Being a Retriever for a few months had not been enough. 

A painful tug on my hair has me yelping and twisting my head around—to see a male with a stupidly innocent face and an equally stupid smile lining his lips.

Bruno, his handsome face jubilant, says, "How's our favorite bird doing on this fine afternoon?"

I scrunch up my brows in an attempt to keep the amused grin at bay. "So I see you're finally back from your ten-hour break." I rub my fingers over my scalp, and he itches at a spot on his creamy jaw.

"It wasn't ten hours. It was nine. And I deserved the break." He retaliates, and I shake my head at this absolute clown in disguise standing by me.