Chapter 24: The Beginning Of The End

Alina's POV:

We waited in anticipation, always on guard. Our efforts in searching the forest had come up empty handed after the attack. They had vanished without a trace. The surrounding forest had been disturbingly silent and it's been two days since the attack. They were definitely out there.

In the early hours of the third morning the sirens blare out their warning of the approaching army.

We shoot out of bed, getting ready for battle while the elderly, pups and those who are not fit for combat head for the reinforced conference hall. The Vipers have been spotted just outside our borders and will reach the territory within the next 15 minutes.

We meet the rest of the guys at the doors - including Colton, Willow, Dimitri, Gwendalow, Astraldow and Ezekiel. They will be joining us at the front lines with a few of their warriors and most of our wolves. The rest will be on defense closer to the packhouse.

"Alphas, the Vipers have the numbers. Over 5000 on the last count coming in from the west, more are expected to follow." Alex informs us.

"The plan is already in action, women and men who can't shift have the weapons. The witches and warlocks are erecting the barrier as we speak and the infirmary has been set up for the injured along with the antidote vials." Riley informs Xavier and I with a curt nod before rushing off again to see things through.

"Alright then. Let's go meet our unwanted guests, shall we." I smirk at them encouragingly and hold onto Xavier's hand as we make our way to the borders and other positions around the territory. We have prepared for this battle for so long and I'm damn sure we will take them down for good or we will die trying.

We stand and wait.

"Alina, no matter what happens today, I want you to remember that I will always love you. Even after death." He kisses my lips softly and smiles tiredly at me, holding me close. "As I love you. Always have, always will." I take his hand and interlock our fingers.

The forest shudders, unsettled, and draws our attention. Vipers emerge from the thickage of the trees without making a sound. They have scaly green skin stretched across their slender figures. Sharp talons extend out their fingertips. Forked tongues slithers out their thin lips every so often.

"Well well well, what have we here? A welcoming party, how kind of you Alpha's Xavier and Alina. Ah, and I see you have managed to stop the others from killing each other long enough to join you. How quaint. We are honored." The leader I assume speaks to us from the front, bowing with a mocking smile. The 's' sounds exaggerated due to their forked tongues.

"Good god they're ugly!" Aiden exclaims horrifically from behind us and our side burst into laughter.

"Thanks Aiden, we needed that." I thank him over my shoulder, chuckling at his words. Their leader's eyes turn stormy and his venomous fangs extend as he hisses at us. Xavier growls thunderously in return with a murderous glare.

"Don't you hiss at us." I bare my canines at him in warning.

"Forgive me, Alpha. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Samuel. I am one of the first Viper's to be brought into existence. I am somewhat of a legend myself, having been quite a force of nature but I see you do not know of the old days. Perhaps a familiar face would be more suited to you. Our great Master himself. " He steps aside and extends his hand out to allow someone to step through in front of him. The last person I would ever have expected on earth walks forward confidently as if he had all the time in the world.

"Jordan? You're a Viper? But how...you're human." I voiced my surprise.

"You know him?" Xavier glances at me questioningly. "Yeah, he was an exchange student at the university. He has the human that stumbled across the border a few months back." I explain, still a little confused as to how he's suddenly a Viper and standing in front of me.

Game On AlphaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara