EDITED VERSION: Chapter Twelve

When I got to my lecture, Jude signalled me over, pointing to the empty seat beside him. I shot him a grateful smile. It was so hard to get a good seat in this lecture. "Thank you," I said as I sat down and began unpacking my things.

Ever since we had our brief conversation at Samara's party, we've had some friendly conversations here and there. It was nice.

"So," Jude began, pulling out his glasses from his bag and pushing them up the tip of his nose. "How was your weekend?"

"Boring, just wrote a bunch of essays and got ahead on some assignments," I sighed, though I enjoyed the fact I got ahead on my work, I was tired of assignments, I wished our winter break would come sooner than three weeks. I shook the overwhelming thoughts of school aside and said, "But, last night one of Nate's friends came over. They used to be travel buddies so they were just telling me non-stop stories about the things they did. How was your weekend?"

"Eh, basically the same as yours, but my roommate accidentally set our microwave on fire," Jude replied with a small chuckle. He clicked his tongue, looking like he was thinking of something that he didn't want to say out loud. Eventually, he said, "So are you and Nathan like, together?"

"What?" I asked with a laugh, though it felt a little forced. "Why do you think that?"

Jude offered me a shy smile. "Well, I mean he was so protective of you at the party I could barely get my name out before he whisked you away for the rest of the night."

I fought back a blush as I thought about the concern Nathan expressed when he thought Jude was causing me problems, but I quickly pushed it away and shook my head. "He owed me a drink is all. We aren't together."

"Oh," Jude responded, looking lost in thought. "Okay."

***

"That Hayden is really something," Samara singsonged. She gave me a beaming smile. "We should go on a double date. You, me, Hayden and Nathan - or Jude, you can take your pick."

I scoffed. Despite me feeling like I'm finally ready to move on from Kieran after nearly three months of being broken up, the lingering problem was I didn't know how to date anyone else. "Please, I could not ask either of them out on a date."

Samara pouted. "Awe, why not?"

I let out a laugh, throwing my head back. "Because I have the self-confidence the size of a corn chip."

"Well, I think that's ridiculous," she said as we continued walking to Ed's. "You are beautiful, smart, and compassionate - there is no reason to doubt yourself. Take a leap of faith, ask a cute boy out, have some fun. Not every guy is going to be like Kieran or Garreth, I promise."

"I know and you're right," I sighed, as we walked into the pub. It was after our big shopping trip and we were meeting up with Nathan because he wanted to have dinner with Hayden, Darian, and me, to celebrate our finals being over. Samara looked like she wanted to say more but I caught her off, raising my hand. "I'll go on a date but I need to work up the courage to ask someone, alright?"

Everyone was already at the table. As we approached, Hayden did a double-take at the abundance of bags in mine and Samara's hands. "Woah, you girls really know how to shop."

"It's a celebration for many occasions," Samara replied simply, taking a seat beside Nathan and placing all our bags under the table.

Nathan raised a brow and stared at Samara and me. "I get we're celebrating your finals being done but what else are you celebrating?"

I gave Samara a look that I hoped said shut up, however, she did not shut up. "Audrey admitted she's ready to go on a date."

Darian grinned like the Cheshire cat, Hayden had a small smile and Nathan... I couldn't really tell what he was thinking.

Kicking Samara under the table lightly, I clenched my teeth. "Dude!"

"What?" She rolled her eyes. "Audrey this is a huge deal for you."

Nathan cocked his head to the right. "She's right, Audrey. So, who's the lucky guy you want to date?"

I started to fidget with the sleeve of my jacket, not looking up because I didn't look anyone in the eye. "No one, in particular, I just meant I wouldn't oppose the idea of going out on a date."

Nathan seemed to visibly relax and everyone stared at him, unsure as to what his problem was. "Well, I'm happy for you, princess. Now, let's celebrate!"

"Amen to that, brother," Darian hollered as he began to chug his beer.

All of us cheered as we began to drink in celebration of ending our first ever semester of university. It was hard as hell but I was happy it was over. I looked at my friends as we talked and celebrated and a smile came over my face. It never ceased to amaze me that I started a new life here, with a new home and friends. It felt pretty great to have a life separate from Trillium Creek.

"Excuse me," I said, excusing myself from the table I got up to go to the bar.

I asked Ed for one of his famous chocolate milkshakes when I felt a hand on the small of my back. "Penny for your thoughts, princess?"

I gave Nathan a smile as I looked at him. "Nothing, just feeling good, that's all."

Nathan gave me his signature grin and couldn't help but notice his hand was still on the small of my back. I felt his breath on my neck as he said, "You deserve to be happy, Audrey."

When Nathan walked away, I stood there, feeling stunned as to what just happened. I could've sworn I still felt his hand on my back and his breath on my neck. Shivering slightly, I turned to Ed, who in return was giving me a mischievous smile, causing wrinkles to form in his eyes. "Told ya' he fancies you."

I blinked a few times, unsure what to say. "Uhm... How's the milkshake coming along?"

"Alright, alright," Ed muttered as he got to work on the milkshake and I made my way back to the table. Everyone was talking about their plans for Christmas break, meanwhile, I was still thinking of Nathan. Why was he acting so weird? I can't say he likes me. He's always trailing girls in and out of our apartment. Although, I had to give him the benefit of the doubt, ever since the Kieran incident, he hasn't brought a girl home since.

"What about you, Audrey?" Hayden asked, throwing an arm over my shoulder.

I looked at him, confusion written all over my face. "I'm sorry, what?"

He chuckled and I noticed Nathan clenching his jaw, giving his already sharp jawline more of an edge. "What are you doing for Christmas break?"

"Oh," I started, shrugging Hayden's arm off my shoulder subtly, causing Nathan to relax his jaw smile to himself. "I'm just staying here. Alex is heading to Newfoundland or something, so I don't have any family to spend it with."

"Well, you can always celebrate with me!" Samara exclaimed, her eyes turning bright at the idea. "My parents are going to Mexico, so you and I can have our own Christmas."

I looked at Sam, giving her a kind smile. Even though it wasn't my first Christmas alone since my parents died, I still didn't want to be alone and at this point, I was grateful for any company. "That would be great, thank you."

"Yeah," Darian began, looking incredibly enthusiastic. "We could all celebrate together. Only, Nathan and I would have to leave for dinner 'cause we always have dinner with the parentals."

Samara shrugged. "Sounds good to me!"

We all nodded our heads in agreement but my mind kept drifting to Nathan and then to Hayden. Nathan seemed almost angry at the thought of me dating and then acted so strangely when Hayden threw his arm around me... was it because he didn't like the idea of Hayden and me dating or did he not like the idea of me dating at all?

Fingers grazed the side of my hand and Hayden inspected me with concern. "Are you okay?"

I nodded my head and moved my gaze over to Nathan. He hadn't seemed to notice Hayden touching me as he was talking animatedly to Darian. I took a deep breath, suddenly feeling dizzy from all the drinks and thoughts. Getting up from the table, I muttered, "Ed, where the hell is my milkshake when I need it?"