Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises

"You better pray that those people who bought my furniture still have it," Radley said as he walked into another room and saw some of his musical instruments, and his bedroom furniture stacked on top of each other without a care. He cringed to think of the damages. In a corner, he saw his rugs rolled up and leaning against the wall. But this small house wouldn't hold all his furniture and he'd had months to sell it.

He heard scuffling in the living room and went to see what was happening. Talbot laid face down on the floor with his hands and feet tied together. "He'll never stay on a horse that way. Make some slack between his feet and hands."

Talbot was saying something but it was muffled. "Roll him to his side so I can tell what he's saying."

"I'll show you where the rest of your furniture is if you let me go."

Radley laughed. "You won't take my pleasure away by offering me my own furniture. I'd rather watch them take you off to goal prison knowing rats will eat at you if you dare to sleep."

The man so disgusted him that he said, "Gag him. I've heard all I want to know. I happen to have a new acquaintance who is a barrister. My new brother-in-law went to school with him. I will send him a note and have an escort arranged for you to take a trip. In the meantime, you can stay at the county jail with the magistrate here."

"Milord, that may be a bad idea. He's known to take bribes," Lewis told him.

Radley closed his eyes and let out an exaggerated breath. After he found his patience, he brought his hands to his hips as he looked at Talbot. "How much did you pay him?"

Lewis removed the gag so he could tell his lordship. Talbot's voice squeaked with fear as he hurried to give him the information. "He took some silverware for his wife."

Radley turned his back to Talbot to keep temptation away. At the moment, he wanted to kick his teeth out. "Barrister Hudson can handle this crooked situation. I'll send a rider from my brother-in-law's house. We shall ride to Kendal in the morning."

He moved to a trunk and slid it from beneath a table and opened it. He pulled out sheets and a blanket. "At least my bride shall sleep in a bed tonight." He tossed them to his footman and kept digging through the items. "Stuff these inside the back with our trunks. Lewis, could you and the men bring all of my belonging back to the house in the next few days? I will pay you handsomely." There were nods from all of them. "It doesn't matter where you put them. I will worry with that another day."

The coach was pulled close to the house and they tied Talbot over the horse before they climbed inside. Bogsley stayed on the porch and told Radley, "Tis best that I stay here. That bugger may have friends who decide to come back for this lute. If so, I'll need more powder and balls."

Another musket, handgun, two bags of powder, and musket balls were given to him.

"Is this wise?" Radley asked with uncertainty.

"An army would be needed to bring him down, my lordship." Herbert the blacksmith bragged.

"We will relieve you early, Bogsley," Lewis assured him.

He waved goodbye, and Bogsley went back inside and made sure the windows were shut and the door secure by sliding that trunk in front of it.

When Radley was in the coach with five other men, he asked Lewis, "Do you have a suggestion as to where we can keep Talbot until I return with Barrister Hudson?"

"Your basement with a lock and chain will keep him there. We can take shifts watching him."

Radley pictured having the man there while he tried to find sleep with his bride. It would be easier to... he let the thought of shooting the man drop. Newgate at least gave him a chance if he could survive it. Most died within a few years. The prison was filthy and the guards were worse than those serving time.