11. Bad Dog (Casey)

After we've finished with the breakfast and Ave has called the cleaning company, we're all set to go.

   Mozart, though, is reluctant. He's just eaten an enormous bowl of dog food and looks as if the last thing he wants to do is go for a walk. He drags his feet and snorts accusingly when Avery puts his leash on.

   "Don't get tricked," Ave chuckles, "appearances can be deceiving."

   I only shake my head and smile. The dog is a total slug.

   We cross the small garden and approach the front gate. The house is on a hill in the middle of a small grove, crossed by numerous alleys, leading to the neighboring houses. It overlooks the sea gulf. The view is stunning. The water, ridged by small waves, sparkles in the bright sunlight. Few people can be seen, already sunbathing on the beach down below, although it's only nine in the morning.

   I sigh contently. This is going to be such a pleasant walk.

   I couldn't be more wrong.

   The moment we pass the gate, Mozart jumps as if hit by an electric spark and dashes through the trees, almost nocking Ave off of his feet. 

   Avery is obviously prepared for the sudden change of demeanor and rushes after him, laughing loudly.

   "Run, babe!" he screams, tossing a glimpse at me over his shoulder. I hesitate only a single second and dart after them.

   We're racing after the dog for almost twenty minutes and I'm getting out of breath. When is this furry beast finally going to run out of energy?

   Ave, on the other hand, doesn't look tired at all. This probably is his daily routine. My strength, though, is running out. I'm not one of those people who exercise regularly.

   Just when I decide that I'd give up and stop, we come out on a small meadow, tucked among the trees. Wildflowers are scattered everywhere in the tall, lush grass. It's very steep, running down to a small streamlet.

   Avery tries to jump on Mozart's back and pin him to the ground. The dog is too strong and, with an abrupt yank of the head, pulls the strap out of Ave's hand and shoots down the slope.

   "Bad dog!" Ave screams after him, but Mozart pays no attention.

   "I'll get him," I yell in a sudden surge of enthusiasm. I came to help him, after all, and haven't done anything so far besides trying to keep my lungs inside my chest.

   "Casey, no!" he shouts, but before he can stop me, I run down the slope.

   I stumble on the second step and fall to the ground with Avery, who tries to catch me, on top of me. 

   We're rolling down the slope, clinging to one another and somehow manage to stop just before we plunge into the stream.

   I barely catch my breath, my eyes closed and my heart racing.

   "Oh, my God! Babe, are you all right?" Ave asks worriedly.

   I open my eyes and look at the boy, lying on top of me. His hair is sticking out in all directions, grass tangled in it. His eyes sparkle in bright shades of green. He's biting his bottom lip, staring at me with concern.

   I've never seen anything so beautiful.

   Without uttering a word, I lift my face and press my lips to his. He doesn't hesitate and parts them immediately to let my tongue in. The sweetest kiss I've ever had.

   We pull away and gaze at each other for few seconds before we both burst into rapturous laughter.

   "Are you doing this every day?" I snort, panting heavily when we finally calm down.

   "Yeah, except rolling down the slope, I mean. It seems Mozart saves his energy when we're at home and puts everything he's got into the walks," Ave chuckles, sprawling on his back next to me. "I told you he's a bad dog. I tried everything, even a personal trainer, but there's no way taming him. I don't mind it though. I like jogging."

   "I wouldn't call this jogging," I giggle. "Rather, it can be defined as a completely new kind of extreme sport."

   He sits up and takes out two bottles of water from his backpack.

   "I'm sorry, babe," he hands me one of them with a remorseful look. "I shouldn't have put you through this."

   "No, it was fun, exhausting, a little scary, but still fun," I beam, trying not to focus on the fact that he's been calling me 'babe' since we left his house.

   "But where's Mozart," I wonder. The dog is nowhere to be seen. "We should go look for him."

   "Nah, he's fine. He'll crawl back when he gets tired." Ave is smirking, gazing at me. "Do you know that you look soo sexy like this, disheveled, sweaty and covered in grass. I just want to kiss the life out of you."

   I pout, "Are you teasing me cause you look no bette..."

   He leans and captures my lips before I can finish.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who made it to Chapter 11.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting!

Aren't Ave and Casey just too cute? 😍

Do you like dogs?

I'll be happy to see what you like or don't like so far.

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in the next chapter.

Love: Anny