5: Overprotective much?

Till the end of the day, no lecturer enters the hall — even though it's already the second week of resumption — and I'm grateful that I listened to Eric when he said we shouldn't wait.

There were many other things we needed to do upon resumption and I didn't know about this until Eric informed me. We still had to print some important documents from the student portal, have them signed, make photocopies and submit. According to Eric, we won't be considered students if in our final years these documents aren't in the administrative office.

But all I hear Eric say as he explains all we have to do is work, work, work. I was wishing we'll get to sit one place, gist and laugh. But no! We have to work, work, work.

By 4, I'm exhausted and thankfully —  even though we're not finished — the offices are closed and we're told to come back the following day.

“Your house isn't that far from school,”  Eric tells me as we make our way to the taxi rank.

“My parents didn't want me having to spend much on transport. It'll save cost this way.”

He agrees with a slow nod.

“What of you?” I ask. “Where are you staying?”

Although he describes the place, I have no idea where he's talking about and he gives me a look.

“I just got here,” I say. “It will not pass, I'll come and see you this weekend. On Sunday.”

He shrugs.

We get to the section for Taxis going our way and as Eric opens the door, stepping aside for me to enter first, I'm stopped by a voice that calls Eric's name.

When I turn and see the dimpled guy from this morning, I smile and wave at him.

“You know him?” Eric asks.

“Yeah. He helped me find the hall this morning. You know him too?”

“He's my flatmate.”

“Oh. Wow.”

Dare reaches us and both guys shake hands.

“Debby, right?” Dare says with one eye narrowed.

“Yep. Nice to see you again, Dare.”

He chuckles, probably at the way I mispronounce his name. “I see you guys know each other.”

“Yep,” I say and cling to Eric's arm. “Best friends.”

Eric forces me into the taxi by pressing my head down, prompting a snicker from Dare as I slap Eric's hand away.

“So, how far? Are you going home yet?” Eric asks Dare as I come out of the taxi and slap his arm, to which he doesn't flinch at.

“Yeah. It's my girlfriend that I'm waiting for.” Dare checks his wristwatch and scans the area. “She said she'll meet me here by 4:30 and this is ten minutes over 4:30.”

“Maybe, she's already on her way.”

“Is your girlfriend that girl from this morning?” I jump in to ask.

“Yeah,” Dare replies.

“She's very beautiful.”

“Did anybody ask you?” Eric says to me.

I scrunch up my face. “Was I talking to you?”

Dare laughs. “It seems like you two are cat and rat.”

“This one doesn't just know when to shut up,” Eric says.

“And you like to vex too much. As if I was talking to you.” Pouting, I enter the taxi and look out the other side of the window.