Darling

The massive barks of trees seemed strangely tilted obliquely. The forest floor had a golden brown, crunchy leaf blanket on. It was not too cold, but you could see the cold mist around you waiting until night to choke you with darkness. Wolves were heard far away, and dragonflies swarmed the sky. Ela strode to the familiar apple tree. Stroking the bark with her pale fingers, she pulled on a branch and sat on another. Her pretty magenta silk gown did not stop her from plucking the fruit. She took one bite, the liquid dripping down her lips, slowly making way to her neck. She sat quietly, waiting for the real sweetness to arrive. Waiting for her sweetheart to arrive.

Every evening she smuggled down to this cozy wilderness to meet him. Ela was ordered not to engage with him of any sort as he was a Wildman. Ela was strictly Unblended. Her father and mother were the current Man and Woman of their village, Lochonoya. According to her timetable, Ela was supposed to 'engage with nature and its upbringings,' which she limitlessly did with him.

Arman was her man. Brown-haired, well-built, and tall. He worked in the Lumbar sector with a pleasant smile and an honest laugh.

It took longer than usual for him to arrive. Ela suspected that it would have been the additional chore he did for Mr. and Mrs. Statin living in the cottage next to his. She was too bored to stay seated. She climbed down and was whispering her sister's songs like she always liked to do.

Darling, lift me up for my ashes

I refuse to go like this.

Darling, send me a box full of roses

I can scent up my lips.

Darling hand me a piece of paper

I can write you some tips.

Darling-

She was suddenly stopped by a faint ruffle of footsteps on dried leaves and moist dirt. She was used to this because her father usually sent men on horses to check on her. So she pretended to 'engage with nature.' .The ruffling noise kept getting louder when she turned to see the sight she always wished she didn't.

Arman was beaten up, bloody and wet. He could barely open his eyes. He was held by two Guardsmen who respectfully move aside to reveal her father.

'You have shamed me. Shame from a silly Wildman or my daughter is considered a crime. Come on now, you know where to go', her father said, not hurt but heavily angry. His bear stroke seemed revengeful even.

Ela felt the fruit juice drying up on her neck, but Arman's blood was too fresh to dry. Ela took a deep breath. She knew what would happen now. One of the Guardsmen slashed an 'into' mark on her wrist with a silver dagger. She was pulled along with her sweetheart to the Prison. And all she had was a bitten apple in her hand and a missed conversation with Arman.