23 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ it was you all along

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌖 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

twenty-three

'What a plot twist you were.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌖 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

Sunrise is looming, but it's still dark out. Paul unravels a small glowglobe, the tiny thing creating a dim glow.

It illuminates spice in the air and Paul coughs. Jessica's brows furrow in worry as (Y/N) ends up doing the same.

"There's spice in the tent," Paul says, and after a moment, he coughs again, clearing his throat.

All of a sudden, both pause, their visions expanding.

Paul can see the same woman; the woman of his dreams. Except now she's dressed in robes, her hair now free.

(Y/N) sees the opposite. A man in the counterpart version of robes.

Paul's eyes glisten, looking quite sick, though it's just the remnants of his pain.

Both turn around to reveal the person the two have been dreaming.

It's their counterparts. Identically. Just different eyes. Fremen eyes.

Paul sees his wife turn around, looking beautiful as ever in the sunlight, and she gently smiles at him.

(Y/N) watches her husband smile at her, his eyes a gorgeous blue that draws her in and is almost hypnotizing.

They look down to see nothing short of hell—a ferocious battle to the death between thousands of Fremen fighters and even more Sardaukar warriors.

The soldiers clamor as the Fremen arise from the sand, and two soldiers kill everything in their paths, completely ruthless.

The masks open.

The warriors reveal themselves to be themselves, fighting back to back, side by side; for each other and with each other.

Like they'll do anything for each other, even if it means brutally killing for the safety of the other.

Paul's vision changes to see fire burning, hundreds of bodies burning in a bonfire as the flames grow.

"That's the future. It's coming," Paul whispers, almost inaudible, his eyes tear-stained from crying over his father's death.

Jessica watches the two, confused.

Amongst the glowing sands of Arrakis, the two see a woman. Her skin a gorgeous shade, yet her hand is stained by blood.

"Holy war spreading across the universe--"

"--like unquenchable fire..."

Paul whispers what he sees, and his wife finishes his sentence. Like their connection goes beyond the ties of marriage.

An army of Fremen warriors are cheering at their leader, who's standing in the opened door of a spacecraft, hovering above the soldiers.

Swords raised and waving none other than the Atreides banner.

Thunder rumbles above.

"Paul, you're scared. I can see it." Jessica whispers, watching her son's eyes widen and glisten in what she confirms as fear. "Tell me, please, what do you fear?"

He barely blinks.

Neither do.

The leader of the Fremen turns out to be Paul, clad in dark clothing with his wife by his side as she gazes down at the people, their hands intertwined.

(Y/N)'s breathing changes and her gaze morphs into worry. "Somebody, help me, please," she breathes.

Jessica's face is tear-stained as she watches her children struggle, whispering. "(Y/N)."

"It's coming," Paul whispers, huddling into the side of the tent, leaning against his wife instinctively, though she remains unmoved.

The counterparts watch them carefully, almost staring them down.

"I see a holy war spreading across the universe like unquenchable fire." Paul starts to shake, trying to back away from his vision, bumping into his wife as his voice becomes strained. "A warrior religion that waves the Atreides banner in my father's name."

"Paul," Jessica whispers, but he doesn't stop.

"Fanatical legions worshipping at the shrine of my father's skull," he cries. "A war in my name!" His entire body is shaking, and his wife's hands move to hold onto his body, mindless.

"Everyone's shouting my name!"

"Paul."

The only voice he hears is his wife's. A soft whisper. A sweet caress to his mind; the only voice he needs to hear to calm his beating heart.

The only woman he realized ever consumed his mind and brought about his visions.

He married her for a reason--he accepted her as his partner. And that's what she is.

His everything.

Paul hunkers closer to his wife, her chest to his back, as she stares into nothingness, trying to calm down.

"Paul Atreides," his mother whispers, slowly crawling closer. Her hand cups his face. "You are your father's son. You are my son. You are a husband. You are the Duke Paul Atreides." She kisses the side of his head, whispering in his ear, "You know who you are. You know who you are."

"Get off me!" Paul barks, suddenly in the Voice though his arm moves in front of (Y/N) as if to instinctively protect her, even in his subconscious.

He finally snaps out of it.

"You did this to me! You Bene Gesserit made me a freak!" He shouts, turning to his wife and seeing her state as Jessica's lips tremble. Paul panics, cupping her face as his eyes tirelessly search hers, watching as she remains mindless. "Look what you did to her!"

He doesn't know what to blame; he doesn't know who to blame. But he knows his wife is like him. And he kicks himself for not having realized she was the woman of his dreams sooner.

He holds her close, crying into her shoulder as she remains motionless like she's a statue. Jessica wraps her arms around both of them, holding the couple close like a mother would, attempting to comfort them.

Tears brim (Y/N)'s eyes as she too begins to cry.

Not because she's scared.

But because the realization hits that she's truly loved.

By her husband.

And by her mother-in-law.

And now... she was the Duchess (Y/N) Atreides.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

THE REVEAL IS HERE!!

Yes, as it turns out, you were dreaming of Paul, and he was of you. Chani did come into his dreams, but he was mostly stuck on you.

And I'm still fangirling over the fact that he finally figured out it was you who was the woman of his dreams all along.

I TOLD YOU IT WAS SLOWBURN, BUT I SAID IT WAS WORTH IT!! (Excuse me while I go scream in excitement; see ya!!)

WAIT FOR IT; THE NEXT CHAPTER IS WORTH IT!!