Chapter 27

Sunny's ( P.O.V )

I woke up to a knock on my hotel door. I went to answer it to find my mom and my sister standing outside.

"Sunny!" Alison said, giving me a big hug.

"Hey kiddo." I laughed as I hugged her back.

"You look good." My mom said hugging me once Alison was done.

"I just woke up. I probably look like a dead chicken."

"I meant you look healthy but okay." My mom laughed.

"Well, thank you." I smiled.

"Are you ready to go?"

I was confused. "Go where?"

"To breakfast. I heard the hotel has free breakfast."

"Okay, let me go grab my shoes then we can go."

When we made it down to the lobby the breakfast area was crowded. We waited in a long line before we got our food and found a table.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in years." My mom said once we were all settled down.

I took a bite out of my English muffin. "It's been a while. I'm glad I have this opportunity to see you."

"Me too honey." My mom replied.

"Yeah, home is lonely without you." Alison said, taking a bite out of her muffin.

"So how are you honey? How's school? How's work? Talk to me." I watched as my mom spread some butter on her toast.

I didn't know how to answer that question without telling her about Roxanne and how she's been a constant in my life or was...how she was someone that had been a constant in my life.

"School is okay. I've been keeping up with my grades. Work is always busy, but it's still going well. I'm doing okay. Way better than last semester."

"So you're still going to therapy and taking your depression meds?"

"Yes, and yes."

"How are your roommates doing? Did they come here with you?"

"No, they couldn't come this time."

"Oh, that's too bad. I wanted to meet them."

"I'll be right back. I'm going to go get more bagels." I excused myself from the table.

I didn't actually need more bagels but I needed a break from all the questions. I was so scared that I was going to say something my mom didn't approve of during her mini interrogation.

I couldn't come back to the table without a bagel so I walked over to where the bagels were with the pastries and dropped one on my plate.

"So do you still spend all your free time at the library?" My mom asked once I sat back down.

"No," I actually don't go to the library at all anymore."

"What? Why?"

"I spend my free time with friends now."

"Tell me about these friends."

I suddenly wish I didn't say anything. There was no way she would approve of my friends now with some of them being gay and partying all the time.

Her phone rang before I could say anything.

"Sorry I have to get this." My mom picked up her phone from the table and left.

"So how's your life going?" I said, looking over at Alison who was sitting across from me.

"Terrible mom won't let me do anything unless it's church related, which makes it hard to have or keep any friends." She nibbled on her food.