Chapter 22

Sunny's (P.O.V)

When I arrived at the bonfire I saw that the beach was really crowded. I looked around to see college students everywhere.

"Sunny over here." I heard Sandy say making her way towards me.

I noticed that her hair was in a sloppy bun and she was wearing a different bathing suit than the one I had seen her play volleyball in.

"Hey," I said looking at her.

"Follow me." She said as we began to walk in the direction she came from.

"Sorry I didn't bring a swimsuit." I said, digging my feet in the sand as we walked.

"It's okay. Most people don't get in the water anyway because it's too cold around this time."

After walking for a few minutes we came to a stop in front of a tent where a long folding table stood with food and appetizers on it. I also took notice of the big cooler on the ground.

"Where is everyone else?"

"Over there." She said pointing towards the distance where a small group of people were gathered around a bonfire.

"Those people go to our school?" I was a bit curious.

"Yeah, they do. Grab a drink real quick and let me introduce you."

I opened the cooler and saw a bunch of alcoholic beverages. I searched the cooler for something other than alcohol. My hands were getting cold and I was about to give up when I finally found a can of coke.

I stood up straight and turned around to face Sandy when I saw her looking at me weird. The look on her face went away quickly so I didn't get a chance to ask her what's up.

"Okay, I'm ready to go meet everyone now." I said opening the can.

I followed Sandy as she led me to the group.

"Everyone this is Sunny. This is her first time here so give her a warm welcome."

Everyone waved and greeted me and I smiled as I waved back at everyone.

"Hey, I need to go do something real quick. Will you be ok hanging out with these guys for a while?" Sandy was talking to me but her attention was elsewhere.

I looked over to where she was looking when I saw Ethan talking to some people in the distance.

"Yeah, I'll be fine here." I said, finally getting it.

"Okay, see you in a bit." She said before excusing herself from the group.

I looked around at the group of people who were all having small talk with each other and suddenly felt out of place.

I was thinking about calling it quits and just going home when I felt someone tap on my shoulders.

I turned around to see who it was when I saw Joey standing behind me.

I smiled at him all happy to see a familiar face. "Hey, Joey!"

"Hey, did you see Roxanne at all today?" When he said her name I instantly remembered the conversation I had with Roxanne on the cliff.

I suddenly got embarrassed. I really hope that Roxanne didn't tell him because that would make things really complicated for me.

"No, she wasn't in science. Is she okay?"

"She hasn't been replying to any of our texts so I thought maybe you might know what's going on."

I could tell he was avoiding looking at me in the eyes, which meant something was wrong. It finally hit me that he might actually in fact know the lie I told Roxanne.