Chapter 12

Roxanne's (P.O.V)

When I opened my eyes I saw that the blinds in my room were opened.

At first I was confused on why the blinds would be opened because I could've sworn I closed them when I went to bed last night, but then I realized that my mom must have opened them trying to wake me up for school like she always did back when I was in high school.

I actually had woken up several hours ago but I went back to sleep as soon as I tried to get out of bed and I fell right back down from being fatigued.

I ended up oversleeping and missing school today but it wasn't like I could go anyway because I really wasn't feeling well.

'Okay, let's try this again.' I thought as I slowly got out of bed.

I was a bit off balance at first but then I managed to stand on my own two feet.

"Oh, shit!" I said once I looked at the clock on my night stand and saw the time.

I was supposed to meet Sunny at Starbucks an hour ago.

I quickly picked out some clothes to wear before going to the bathroom and brushing my teeth.

As I brushed my teeth and looked in the mirror I realized that I looked like shit. I definitely looked how I felt and I hated it.

When I was done brushing my teeth I took my clothes off and got in the shower. I decided to take a cold shower today because I was still feeling sleepy and I needed something to wake me up.

Once I was done taking a shower I put some lotion on before putting on the jeans and a long sleeve shirt I had picked out.

After I was done getting ready I turned off the lights and went downstairs.

When I got downstairs I found my mom sitting at the kitchen table with a tablet in front of her.

"So I'm trying to coordinate with a couple of different doctors to build a team for you." My mom said once she saw me.

"What are you talking about?" I said, pulling my phone out of my jean pockets and checking my phone for the first time today. I saw that I got messages from all my friends asking why I wasn't at school today.

I decided to ignore all the texts and put my phone back in my pocket. I didn't want to have to explain myself to anyone today.

"You need a team for when you start your treatment." My mom said, typing something on her tablet.

"No need because I'm not doing treatment." I opened the fridge and pulled out a thing of ice cream."

"Ice cream? Really? What about some real food? Sandy stopped by and dropped off some food for you yesterday but you weren't here. It should be behind the BLT sandwiches I made the other day. And what do you mean you're not doing treatment?" She took a break from whatever she was doing on the tablet to look over at me.

"I don't want to get treatment for my cancer. It's not worth it." I said, putting the tub of ice cream back and closing the fridge.

"Roxanne, this isn't a game. Your life's on the line. You're doing treatment and that's the final decision."

"Well, good thing I'm an adult and I make my own decisions now. I'm not getting treatment." I said.

I knew I was breaking her heart but I was too scared that if I did treatment and it didn't work it would break mine.

"Roxanne!" She was shocked by what I said.

"Bye, mom." I grabbed my backpack from one of the chairs at the kitchen table and made my way towards the door.