Chapter 9

Sunny's (P.O.V)

After church was done, I went home and picked Amanda up. Now we were on our way to Roxanne's place to pick up her car.

"I feel like you're a whole different person this weekend," Amanda said as we came up to a red light.

"What do you mean?" I asked. Looking out my side of the window really quick before looking at her.

"I don't know. You're going to parties. You're staying out late. You're leaving my car at a stranger's place."

"I'm still Sunny. The depressed girl who's your roommate," I said while shrugging my shoulders. "I'll stop having a life if you want, because that's what you're trying to say, right? That I have a life now?"

"No, no! Please continue to have a life, because as annoying as it's been I definitely like you having a life. Plus, I've never seen you so happy. There's this new glow to you. I don't know what your new friends are doing to make you want to do something other than sit at the library alone, but I hope they don't stop," she said as she adjusted her seatbelt while smiling at me.

"You really think I've been happier in the short amount of time I've gotten to know Roxanne and her friends?" I was surprised.

I did notice that on Friday when I came home from the party I couldn't stop smiling because not only did I have a partner for the project, but I had a friend who seemed really cool and fearless. I also noticed that I had been more social and talkative when I was playing volleyball with Roxanne and her friends yesterday. I definitely noticed a change, but I didn't think anyone else did. Especially not Amanda.

"Oh, yeah for sure," she said confidently.

I was about to say something but the light turned green, so I didn't think that what I had to say was that important. In the end, I kept my mouth shut.

We drove the rest of the way in silence, and it took us about forty-five minutes to get there.

"Who the heck lives here?" Amanda said as we pulled up to Roxanne's place.

"The friend I've been seeing for the last couple of days," I said laughing.

"What the hell! You can fit a whole zoo in there," Amanda said. Still admiring the mansion but I wasn't paying any attention to her, because I was too busy watching Roxanne as she walked out of her house.

I hadn't seen her since yesterday and I still felt uncomfortable being around her. I was really hoping that we could just come over and get Amanda's car without us seeing Roxanne, but it looked like that wasn't going to be the case.

I didn't want to get out of my car, but Roxanne was looking in our direction as if she wanted to see us. So I put the car in park and got out.

"Hi Roxanne," I said once I made it up the driveway to where she was standing next to a moving truck.

Was she moving? The thought made me happy all of a sudden, because if she was moving then that meant I wouldn't have to worry about being around her anymore. Though that would also mean that I would have to put myself out there and find someone new to do the project with, and that wasn't something I could do.

I felt so stuck. I finally made a friend to only find out she was everything I was against.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Roxanne said while giving me a wide smile and interrupting me from my cruel thoughts.

"I left my friend's car here the other night and we finally decided to come pick it up today," I said while pointing at Amanda's car.

"Oh, I've been wondering what a blue Toyota was doing by the lawn. I figured someone forgot it at the party on Friday and that they'd be back for it soon, so I didn't have it towed."

"I'm sorry if it caused you any trouble," I said quickly.

"No, it wasn't a problem at all," Roxanne reassured me.

My eyes shifted towards the big moving truck. "So are you moving or something?"

Before she could answer, a really pretty girl with highlights in her hair came walking out of the house. The girl had her head turned away from us due to her talking to someone from inside, but when she came out she stopped walking after she finally turned her head and saw us.

I looked from the girl to Roxanne.

Roxanne coughed a little as if she was clearing her throat.

I could tell that there was tension between her and the girl.

"Your mom said that you were going to help us move, is that true?" the girl said as she came up next to Roxanne once she recovered from the surprise of seeing us.

"Yeah," Roxanne replied while looking at me the whole time and avoiding making eye contact with the girl.

I saw something in Roxanne's eyes when she replied to the girl, but I didn't know exactly what it was that I saw. Indifference to her existence, maybe?

"Sunny, this is Ivy. Ivy, this is Sunny." Roxanne introduced us.

The girl looked me up and down sizing me before she turned to Roxanne and said, "Well, we're trying to get everything moved in before evening, so can you come help us now?"

It took me a minute but it finally clicked on who the girl was that was standing next to Roxanne.

I looked to Roxanne for an explanation, but she didn't say anything. I didn't know what was going on, but I could tell that Roxanne wasn't okay with whatever it was. All I understood was that she didn't want to be around Ivy.

"You know what.I actually came here to pick up Roxanne because we have plans today, so she won't be able to help you move in. Sorry," I said to Ivy who was now glaring at me.

"Roxanne, is that true?" Ivy said in an annoyed tone.

"Uh, yeah," Roxanne said, catching on.

I'm glad we were on the same wavelength.

"What? You can't leave. We really need the help, Roxanne. I'm going to go talk to Mabel about this." I watched as Ivy turned around and stormed off.

I was going to ask Roxanne what the heck her cheating ex was doing here, but Amanda interrupted us before I could ask her the question.

"Sunny, I think I'm going to go home now," Amanda said after finally coming out of the car and walking up to us.

"Amanda, this is Roxanne," I said to introduce her.

"Hey, you're the girl from Natural King!" Amanda said while looking at Roxanne.

"Oh, hey! How are you? Did you find your friend's purpose?" Roxanne gave Amanda a quick hug.

"No, we haven't had a chance to talk to her about it, because you keep taking her away from us," Amanda said while looking from Roxanne to me then back at Roxanne again.

I was completely lost. What the heck were they talking about?

"You two know each other?" I was confused.

"Yeah, we met at Natural King the other day when Liz and I were buying groceries," Amanda said.

"It really is a small world that we live in." Roxanne laughed.

"Yeah, no kidding," I said in shock.

"Well Sunny, I have to get to work, so I'll see you at home and it was nice seeing you again!" Amanda said as she looked from me to Roxanne.

"Yeah, you too," Roxanne said as we watched Amanda leave.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked once it was just me and Roxanne standing in her driveway.

"Yeah, where are we going?" she said while following me down the driveway.

"No idea," I said as we made our way to my car