1327: June 11th

"Oops, I accidentally put too much soy sauce."

As Deng Yilan placed the last plate of cucumber and scrambled eggs on the table, she felt slightly embarrassed and cautious. "Try it, see if it's too salty," she said.

Han Jun expressionlessly picked up his chopsticks, picked up a piece of egg, and ate it. Then he picked up a piece of cucumber and glanced at her. "Sit down and eat."

"Not too salty?" She sat down, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Salty," Han Jun said as he ate.

And then? Deng Yilan waited a few seconds, suddenly realizing she was waiting for Han Jun to complain like her dad, "How come you can't even cook scrambled eggs properly."

She knew herself that the dish was not edible. She accidentally poured half a bottle of soy sauce and rinsed it twice with water, but it still didn't work. As a result, the eggs were soggy and broken. If she were home after her dad complained, her mom would immediately retort, "Then you cook it yourself." She was ready for it. Why didn't he react at all?

Han Jun looked up at her again. "What's wrong?"

"N-nothing..."

After realizing it, Han Jun suddenly froze. "You cook for me, and you're still waiting for me to pick at it?"

That slight surprise, as if he had no idea that husbands often pick at their wives' cooking was a common thing. "Just having something to eat is good enough," he said, lowering his head and continuing to eat.

Deng Yilan couldn't help but smile and picked up her chopsticks.

Han Jun was always like this, in some trivial aspects of life, making her feel... how should she put it as if he was experiencing society for the first time. Not that he was naive or without cunning; he was quite presentable in front of others. But once he got home, he relaxed and revealed that as if he were a wild child just returning to society, not understanding many conventional things.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The first time they met, Deng Yilan didn't want to go at all. The person introduced was a relative of her mom's colleague, and she didn't care if she declined. But once she passed thirty, her mom seemed to have gone crazy, eager to marry off anyone male who came home. Refusing meant an instant ugly face.

"You're about to get married now, and when you have children, you'll be considered an older mother... What do you mean you don't want to marry? A woman who hasn't married or had children in her lifetime, what's she called? I don't even want to go out with my sisters now. When they ask, 'Oh, she doesn't even have a boyfriend?' It's embarrassing!"

Deng Yilan felt either her mom had gone mad first or she had. But she was obedient since she was young—besides, going at least temporarily made her mom shut up.

But Han Jun was quite different from the average men his age on blind dates.

First of all, he had no sense of politeness at all.

For the first blind date, at least he could pretend to be polite, but he didn't. When he sat down, he said, "Do you like me? If you don't, I'll leave. I have food at home."

Who talks like that?

Deng Yilan reluctantly said, "Since we're here, let's eat together and get to know each other."

"What's there to know? I saw you as soon as you came in," Han Jun said, looking down at the menu. He almost appeared fascinated, as if the items on the menu were very peculiar. When he talked to her, it seemed like an afterthought: "You look so unenthusiastic."