1314: Tomorrow, Darling Wife Will Call You

Lin Sanjiu opened her mouth, but no sound came out. She turned her head to look, and the hole in the roof was pitch black, as if the building had opened its mouth and was about to sigh.

'Former posthuman? He isn't a posthuman anymore?'

The man downstairs spoke again.

He probably knew that his audience at the moment wouldn't know what to say. Hence, he muttered softly, "I remember abilities and items with psychic powers were the first to become ineffective. Then came other types of evolved abilities and items... The enhanced physical abilities last the longest but still decline. Before all abilities disappeared, I managed to register my identity, and I became legitimate. As for now... If someone nearby uses an evolved ability, I can still vaguely sense it. My five senses are still relatively sharp, and I usually win in arm wrestling or speed comparison with ordinary people."

Every word was understandable, but together, they seemed so unrealistic.

Lin Sanjiu's mind swirled with countless questions that wanted to be released. Then suddenly, her heart skipped a beat, and she asked softly, "Since you know I'm here, why haven't you sounded the alarm?"

"Alarms won't work. Security personnel are just ordinary people. Facing you, they won't gain anything but risk their lives in vain."

Lin Sanjiu was about to say that she wouldn't kill indiscriminately, but she thought better of it and swallowed back her words. In a moment, the alarm system inside the museum would be triggered by the falling manhole covers. This wasn't the place for conversation—until she confirmed that the person had no malicious intent and her safety could be guaranteed, it might be better to let him think she, like most posthumans, didn't care about human life.

"It seems you've been among ordinary people for a long time," she said with intentional coldness, "and your heart has become so soft. You're even worried about others' lives."

"You don't understand," the man said, wanting to explain but unable to find the words. "The death of a person is a big deal in modern society. It's not just a matter of life and death."

"What do you want?" Since this man no longer had evolved abilities and still risked confronting posthumans, he clearly had a purpose.

"I know why you stole those Special Items. If I had just arrived in this world and saw Special Items appearing in the museum, I would have stolen them too. But now you know they are useless to posthumans."

The man stood close to the base of the building, sighing and saying, "However, for me, they mean something different. As the head of security, I'll be in huge trouble if you take them away tonight. With no professional skills, education, or even evolved abilities, do you think it was easy for me to find a job here? I can't afford to lose it. In their eyes, I'm already over forty, and it would be difficult for me to find another job."

Lin Sanjiu had never thought about this point.

It seemed she had immersed herself too long in the doomsday universe—every meal earned, every place to sleep, had to be fought for with her own strength against others and against the world, gradually grasping them bit by bit. Although sometimes it was unbearable, it also gave posthumans a sense of control: she had the power to decide for herself, and anyone who wanted to interfere had to defeat or kill her.

To have her livelihood depending so much on something beyond her control...she had almost forgotten what that felt like.

"My proposal is simple." While she was lost in thought, the man continued, "Since those useless things are in your possession, why not give them back to me and save my job... If I handled the situation well, I might even get a bonus. And for you, whatever information you need, as long as I know it, I can tell you everything."