31

🌻 AVALINE 🌻

It's been some ten days since the lunch with Mr Neil. Things have been better since then. I am no longer intimidated by him and he tries to keep his anger in check in front of me, at least.

Sometimes it gets funny, like yesterday, he wanted to lash out at an employee so he softly asked me to leave the room and then yelled so loud that I could hear everything clearly from my cabin. Though he overdoes it I admire the fact that he cares.

"Miss Avaline please get me the files from the marketing department." I heard him through the intercom.

Not the marketing department please, I don't want to deal with that sleazeball assistant. I swear if he got on my nerves today, I won't spare him.

"I am here to collect the files Mr Atkins asked for." I said as I went to his cabin.

"What's the rush darling, I'll give you the file, you give me your address. Fair deal."

"You want the address, I'll give you of a police station, you belong there. And the file, I'll ask Mr Atkins to get it himself. Fair deal." I said with a smirk.

"Of course, of course. So the rumours are true, dearest assistant of Mr Atkins. I am not stupid like those two girls who you got fired." He said with a smug look.

"I recorded conversations with them, how do you know I haven't recorded your bullshit Mr Smartass." All the colour drained from his face.

"Give me your phone." He shouted.

"Bring the files to my cabin in five and better be within your limits from next time," I stated my point and left his office.

He dropped the files in 3. The taste of victory is addicting, I must say.

I am in no rush to go home today as Ed has gone on a business trip for two weeks. House feels too lonely without him annoying me.

But he still makes time to video call me every morning and evening. From being with a mother who hardly ever spoke to me to a brother who treats me better than a princess, is the best change in my life.
He takes care of my slightest discomfort and even though we fight and tease each other, he never fails to express, how much he loves me.
I didn't have lovable parents but the best brother in the world.
And I would have it no other way.

It's been a week since Ed has been gone, I don't know why I am feeling a little restless today.
In the office, I was surprised to see Mr Knight calling me. I ignored him once but he called again.
I answered this time.

"Finally had enough shame to answer your father's call." He shouted from the other side.

"Mr Knight please recheck, this is not Celine, your daughter's number." I said calmly.

"Ahh you Brat, I called you only, I have organised a gala today. Be there on time."

"You have funds to throw a party." I didn't wanted this to come out rude but everyone knows that Knights are on the verge of bankruptcy.

"How dare you. I have found investors and I want you here at 5. Come directly from the office, Bella brought you a gown."

"Why do you think I'll come."

"If you like your brother, I suggest you should be on time." What does he mean? Before I could ask, he already hung up on me.

I called Ed but he didn't answer so I had no other option than to go to this stupid party. I was feeling restless from the morning and I can't ignore my gut feeling when it's about my brother.

So I went to Mr Neil's office, I need to inform him that I want to leave early today.

"Yes, Miss Avaline?"

"I need to leave a little early today if that's not a problem."

"Okay, but is everything fine."

"Yes, I guess. My father organised a party and I am invited." I know it was TMI but I wanted to share with someone and since Ed is not answering the call, I told Mr Neil.

"Be careful." He told me, but why? Anyway, I nodded and got back to work.

I left the office around 4.30 and went to Knights mansion. The workers were running all over the place to get everything ready for the event.

I spotted Mrs Knight in the living room and went to her.

''Oh finally you are here" she said to me and dragged me to a room and pushed me inside. There were two other ladies in there, Mrs Knight instructed them to get me ready.
.
.
.

What I did to deserve this punishment, it was two hours of pure torture. They pulled my hair and caked my face with layers of makeup. I was looking unrecognisable and horrendous with all this stuff on my face.

Finally, I was asked to change into a gown. It was not bad but not my style. Too body-hugging and revealing.

When I came out of the washroom, those girls were gone but the entire Knight family was in the room

"Oh Bella, you did a good job, she is not looking like a poor, classless girl anymore."

"Thank you, darling." She said to her husband.

"Avaline today I'll present you to the world and your husband-to-be."

"WHAT" what husband are they talking about?

"Congratulations Stepsister, you are getting engaged today." I hate Celine and her squekyy voice boils my blood.
Wait a minute, what engagement?

"What the hell are you all talking about? I am so not freaking getting married."

"Hey, don't decide so soon. Talk to your brother about it first." He said and handed me his tablet.

What the fuck...

🌿🌸Author's Time🌸🌿

QOTD: Brand of your phone?

Mine is Samsung.