1306: It's Like Doomsday for Me

The problem was also a matter of perspective. For example, Lin Sanjiu felt that her smile was a bit embarrassed after being discovered—but obviously, the agent didn't see it that way.

The thin young man let out an animal-like cry, turning his head to run out the door. Before Lin Sanjiu could decide whether to close the door, he tripped over his feet and fell to the ground with a  thud. His phone flew out, illuminating her from below.

The agent turned back, and when their eyes met, a look of determination suddenly appeared on his face. In a panic, he abandoned his phone and crawled out of the door, shouting in the hallway, "Help! Help!"

Lin Sanjiu jumped down and glanced out through the crack in the door. The agent shouted four or five times, and the hallway echoed his calls. The neighbors who had been talking suddenly fell silent, and each door was tightly closed. No one came out to help.

The agent forcefully pressed the elevator buttons a few times, then turned back and saw a heavily painted face floating through the half-open door, eyes fixed straight on him. The two stared at each other for half a second. Then, he screamed and stumbled into the stairwell, disappearing behind the door.

'Can this house still be lived in?'

Lin Sanjiu felt somewhat regretful and puzzled. When she was wandering during the doomsday, finding a place to settle down meant it was hers; unless someone stronger came along, no one could drive her away. So why, in normal society, could she not even find a place to settle down and is even more unsettled than in the past?

Sighing, she picked up the phone from the ground. After so many years, the screen had become much larger, all the buttons were gone, and she didn't know how to turn it on. After fiddling around for a bit, a small circle appeared on the screen, saying it wanted to authenticate her face—phones could do that, too?

Since the agent wouldn't dare to come back for a while, even if he did, he couldn't do anything to her. She found the new smartphone amusing and didn't rush to leave, although she couldn't open it and just randomly touched the screen; suddenly, the camera interface appeared on the screen, showing her own face— at first glance, Lin Sanjiu almost threw the phone away.

What kind of makeup did that beauty advisor give her?

Her lips were pale from the nude lipstick, her eyebrows sharp and dark, her eyes like two deep pits. Her eerie and sinister aura in the dimly lit room startled even her. The beauty advisor was so nervous that the black eyeliner was drawn all over, like a mentally ill patient who still cared about beauty.

Was this makeup only suitable if she had a dead child in her mouth?

Looking at the time on the screen, Lin Sanjiu put the phone back on the ground, swept away the wood chips at the door, removed the disguise, and reinserted the lock she had pulled out—the door was about to collapse. When she came, she noticed there were cameras in the corridor; she didn't care when she came, but when she left, she couldn't go out facing the cameras. Fortunately for her, six floors were just the height of jumping twice while holding onto the balcony railing. When she landed with a  thud, it didn't attract anyone's attention.

By eleven o'clock, the flow of people in the nearby mall gradually decreased, the lights went out one by one, and security locked the glass doors. The employees who finished work wrapped themselves in coats, carried bags, and walked out in groups of two or three, blending into the city's night sea, like drops of water. A few girls waited for the bus together at the bus stop. As the buses came and went, only one girl with a slightly pale complexion remained.

Before her last colleague left, she glanced at her. "Are you really okay?" the older woman asked. "Don't think too much. You're a bit sensitive. Go back early and rest tonight."