[ 026 ] your brother's alive.

HEARING DAMAGE
TEEN NOLA - CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX !

            THE FEAR IN NATALIE'S voice mixed with the haggard wheezing from a terrified Travis, who clutched desperately at his chest, was what caused everyone in the cabin to rip away from their slumber

            THE FEAR IN NATALIE'S voice mixed with the haggard wheezing from a terrified Travis, who clutched desperately at his chest, was what caused everyone in the cabin to rip away from their slumber. They all almost immediately rose to their feet, watching the boy struggle to breathe as Natalie attempted and failed to calm him down.

            "What happened?" Akilah questioned the blonde as she sat herself up using the strength of her forearms.

            Natalie shook her head from side to side. As she continued to fret over the still freaking out Travis, she hurriedly explained, "I don't know. I think he's having a panic attack or something."

            In an instant, Lottie had appeared by his side, knees pressed to the floor, her eyes widened in concern. "Travis, look at me. Breathe with me, okay?" She uttered comfortingly as she grabbed hold of Travis' shoulders to steady him. "You can do that, okay? Breath is the only thing in the world right now. Breathe in. And out."

            Travis' heat beat at the speed of light within his chest, pounding aggressively against his chest. As Lottie's hand moved to his chest, pressing right against his heart, she was able to feel it beat even through the thick layers of clothing that clung to his body. Slowly but surely, thanks to Lottie and her comforting ways, Travis finally managed to gain control of his breathing once more, allowing it to even out.

            The two exchanged a few words before Travis somewhat frantically pulled a large portion of the blanket over his lap, almost as if to conceal something. Lottie cleared her throat awkwardly before stating matter of factly, "Your brother's alive. I know he is. You should get some rest."

            While the Matthews girl rose to her feet and began to walk away, Natalie, who had gone off to get Travis some water to drink, handed him the cup. "Take this." She then took off after Lottie, frustration violently swirling in her eyes.

            The Martinez boy nursed the cup in his hands, unwilling to take a sip just yet. Instead, he swung his head round to stare at Nola who had been sitting only feet away, tangled up in her blanket. His voice was low, but a whisper as he spoke. "Tell me what you said again."

            Confusion fell across the features of Nola's face as she looked back at him. Her eyebrows furrowed, her nose scrunched up. She quickly asked, "What do you mean?"

            "That you can hear him."

            Nola heavily sighed. Her shoulders fell as her gaze dropped to the blanket, the girl suddenly looking very interested in the pattern. "Travis—"