07

🍁 EDMUND 🍁

I had some strange feelings when I woke up today. I was calm yet agitated, peaceful though I could see a tornado coming towards me. Usually, I never ignore my intuitions but I couldn't put a meaning to what I was feeling right now.

I dismissed these thoughts and got off my bed to get started for my day. I went to my home gym which helps me to relax. After an hour of workout, I bathed and got dressed in my custom-made Armani suit.

After I was done, I went downstairs and had the breakfast that Ms. Martha had prepared for me. I reached my office at sharp 8 a.m. I went through some files till the clock struck at 9. I had a meeting with the management department then. At 5 shy of nine, three men came to my office, who were supposed to accompany me to this meeting. Along with them, I went to the conference room where everything was already set up, just as I liked it.

The meeting began, and I was happy with the positive report the team presented. Everything was on point, I was satisfied with their efficiency. Soon the presentation was over and the lights were turned back on. I was giving them the review of the presentation when I was interrupted by someone's sneeze. I raised my eyes and looked around to see a girl sitting next to Mr Richardson with eyes squeezed shut. She was about to say something, probably apologise, when she sneezed again and again. Finally, her sneezing spree was over and she looked around. Her cheeks turned crimson on seeing all the attention on her. Cute.

Fuck, I have fired people for much less. I saw looking at Mr Richardson who not so subtly pointed with his eyes towards me. Asking the girl to apologise to me. I was amused by all this. Realising, Mr Richardsons' intent she quickly glanced at me.

Fuck, those eyes. These were the same eyes which were the reason for my serenity yet the reason behind my distressed nights. Those were the same azure eyes, the same as mine.

"Who are you?" I shouted even before she could say a word.

I saw her slightly tremble at my loud words. But I wasn't in the right frame of mind. My thoughts were running haywire when she said,

"I am Avaline Knight, assistant of Mr Richardson. I am sorry sir, I didn't have the intention to interrupt you but I am allergic to lavender's fragrance. I am sorry-"

I didn't hear any other word after that and left the room. I didn't need any more words, she was her. She was my princess, my Ava. Her eyes, her name, her fucking allergy.

I went to my office and told my assistant to cancel all my meetings for the day and to not let anyone disturb me. I was so lost in my thoughts all the sweet memories from our childhood were rushing back. All the night that I cried myself to sleep we're rushing back.

All this time Ava was so close to me yet so far away. Does she not remember me at all? I have so many questions but I won't ask her any. It might be stupid but this vagueness is better than clear disappointment for me.

Being her boss is better than being no one to her. I can't bear to lose her again, it's better we won't ever meet again. We won't meet as siblings again. She will be my employee and I'll be her employer. Nothing personal but strictly professional. I can't allow myself to trust someone who left me 13 years ago without even glancing back. Seems like she closed the book while I am stuck on the same chapter.

🌻 AVALINE 🌻

I was drowning in my sorrows while Sarah was consoling me and Orry was trying to cheer me up. But how can I relax after making such a big blunder in front of the king? I am waiting for my termination letter so I can apply at other workplaces.

I am mentally cursing King's assistant who was bathed in Lavender perfume. I tried my best to control that stupid sneeze but it was an involuntary action.

"what's going on here? Why you three are not working?"Me Richardson asked.

"We are celebrating my last day here Mr Richardson, I'll miss your wife's food the most sir," I said but a fresh set of tears decorated my eyes.

"Oh shut up, Avaline, and get back to work. You are not getting fired yet, because if you were, King would have said it there only. His words surpass any legal document here. He didn't say it meaning it's not happening, period. Now go and fetch me R. Thomas's file from finance dept."
Me Richardson said and new hope filled my eyes. Maybe it was my lucky day and I wasn't getting fired. I quickly ran to get the file sir asked me for while my friends also returned to their work.

Two days passed and I was indeed not fired. Now the only wish I had was to never cross my paths with the King again. Alas, my wish was so short-lived.
I was happily working in my cubicle when King's assistant came to our department and went to Mr Richardson's cabin. She left after some 10 minutes.

Mr Richardson called all of us to his cabin once she left.
"We have a meeting with King after two days, he wants all the pros, cons and impacts if we further extend our business operation to different categories. He is very detailed in such meetings, so we need to be thoroughly prepared. And Ms Knight, King asked you to lead this meeting. So prepare well, it might be your only chance to prove in front of the King. Off to work everyone." he said dismissing us.

God have I done something to upset you, why are testing me like this? Or at least, you can send a better invigilator, anyone but King.

King looks like everyone described him, a cold broody Greek god. In his presence, it feels like he is a real King while everyone else is his peasants. Though his eyes feel different yet very familiar.

I am not afraid of King, he doesn't give off the bad vibes. But I am afraid of doing some stupidity that costs me my job. I have a debt to get through, and a degree to earn, I don't have a minute to waste.

Shutting my thoughts up, I get to work the upcoming presentation, I have a meeting to ace.

🌿🌸Author's Time🌸🌿

QOTD: Which country are you from.

I am from India.