14. Misguided

Reunion

[Y/N POV]

Kenji and Brooklyn look horrified

"I think we broke them," I say.

"Uhh... hello?" Ben tries.

Kenji runs up to tackles us into a hug. Brooklyn does too a second later, but gentler and more teary. When they finally let go, Ben and I smile happily at each other, then back at them.

"How... How... How?" Kenji asks, with his eyes wide.

Hap groans.

"Oh right. We should probably deal with that." Ben and I exchange meaningful looks. He and I tell our sides of the story while Brooklyn ties Hap with some thick vines.

"... then we heard that fancy couple conspiring with this guy. So we figured you guys might need our help." I finish.

"Oh, hey. I still have your dork pouch" Kenji points at his waist. "Huh?"

"Oh Y/N snatched it off you for me a while ago." Ben says. "But thanks for keeping it safe."

I pick up the electrocutor and toss it from hand to hand, eventually handing it to Ben, who admires it. "Could have used this while fighting Toro, eh guys?"

Bumpy, and Sunbeam bellow as an answer.

"Ben, Y/N, focus. The couple. What exactly did they say?" Brooklyn urgently demands.

"Not too much, but they're definitely up to something," Ben says. "Hap too. I say we feed him to the Mosasaurus or T-Rex. What do you think Y/N?"

I frown. "I am not going to kill someone just like that."

Ben shrugs.

"Or you could listen to me." Hap grunts and looks at us.

Brooklyn and Kenji leap back, but Ben stands firmly on the same space. I take a few steps backwards, still ready to support Ben if he needs help.

"You're awake?" Brooklyn tentatively says.

"Of course I'm awake. You think I'm gonna be taken out by a bunch of kids?"

"Challenge accepted," Ben crackles the taser at Hap dangerously, and I stand by the side with my arms crossed nervously.

"Put those down kids before you get yourselves hurt," He gruffly says.

"Someone's getting hurt old man, but it ain't us." Ben creeps closer with the weapon pointed at Hap.

"It may be, though." I murmur to myself anxiously. Hap can overpower us easily.

Four scrawny kids versus one muscular man, scarred from all sorts of who-knows-what adventures. I try to mask my fear, but it still shows slightly on my face.

"Zap him Ben!" Kenji cries.

"With pleasure!"

"No, Ben!" I grab his arm and pull him back. "We are not electrocuting a human being."

"Lower the weapon, Ben." Brooklyn backs me up, holding her palms out warily.

"You're protecting this guy? Who's side are you two on?" Ben says disbelievingly, shaking his head.

"Y/N and I are on the 'not killing a human' side!" Brooklyn says loudly.

"We don't have time for this! You kids have to trust me. I'm trying to save your lives." Hap glares at all of us.

Meanwhile...

[Darius POV]

Mith and Tiff hustle and bustle about. They are bringing bags and cardboard boxes, with a baffled Caleb helping them out by force.