[ 017 ] a funeral pyre.

HEARING DAMAGE
TEEN NOLA - CHAPTER SEVENTEEN !

            TENSION HAD CONSUMED THE atmosphere that followed the group for the rest of the day as they trekked further into the forest

            TENSION HAD CONSUMED THE atmosphere that followed the group for the rest of the day as they trekked further into the forest. It lingered thickly in the air, felt by each and every girl as many of them observed the distance that now existed between Taissa and Van, who had barely spoken a word to one another since earlier that morning at the red river.

            Van clearly felt much annoyance at being shut down so unapologetically by Taissa, who had belittled her fears without an ounce of hesitation. That had most certainly driven a wedge between the pair as the group moved on. Soon enough the sun began to set and the group had no choice but to set up camp once again, none of them wanting to get lost in the dark which would have inevitably happened if they'd carried on.

            A sigh filled with reluctance left the lips of Taissa as her hands naturally fell to her hips. "I know it doesn't feel like it, but we're one step closer to home." She spoke up, attempting to qualm the fears that surely still lingered amongst the group as she watched them get into their sleeping bags. "I promise this will all be over soon."

            "We don't need another speech, Taissa. We need to sleep." Van sharply stated, the young redhead refusing to even glance the Turner girl's way. She finished getting herself into her sleep bag with ease, all the while her skin burned from the heat of Taissa's stare.

The mood that had already been low got even lower as the two girls quarrelled, leaving the rest of the group stuck in the middle.

A heavy sigh filled the air as Mari began to stand up, rubbing her hands together to keep them warm as she did. "I'll take the first watch tonight."

"Let me do it. You should all rest." Taissa offered with an affirmative nod, telling the girls she didn't mind taking the first watch if it meant they get some sleep.

As the rest of the girls moved about, attempting to get comfortable in their sleeping bags, a small, tight-lipped smile of appreciation from Nola was sent Taissa's direction. "Thanks, Tai." The Rilke girl softly said before wrapping the fabric of her team jacket tightly around her body and rolling over to face the glow of the fire.

            Her eyes suddenly shot back open with a gasp. The crackling of the fire had gone silent, the bright burning embers extinguished and everyone was gone. Not a single soul to be seen. All of the girls had vanished. Her voice had become caught in her throat as she struggled to seem even five feet in front of her. Terror began to consume her as the idea of being left behind became all she could think about.