02

🌻 AVALINE 🌻

God saw you getting tired
And a cure was not to be
So he put his arms around you
And whispered, "Come to me."

Goodbye mom. I wiped the single stray tear that escaped my eye. It was sad to see the only person I had, whom I could address as family, being 6 feet under the ground.

I was never close to my mom but at least she was there. She was there every day when I got home though we rarely ever talked. At least she never gave up on me like others. At least she was there.

Now she wasn't anymore. It's good that I am not too heartbroken about her demise because I have no one to wipe my tears or console me.

They say I am a loner but I never had time to spare to make a conversation or some friends. Working two jobs while doing graduation was no joke but the need of the hour. Mom was diagnosed with 3rd stage leukaemia 2 years back.

The cost of treatment and medication was sky-high. Before this, my income was sufficient to put food on the table and fulfil our basic daily needs. But mom's cancer ate all my savings and also the flat we lived in. The flat was the only thing Mom got as alimony.

Now we lived in a rented one-bedroom house in the shady part of the city. That was the only thing I could afford.

My mom was a super-rich lady before her marriage so she had never worked in her life. After separating from her husband, she still couldn't bend her ego enough to work for someone.
She got some thousand dollars and the flat as alimony. Money was soon depleting so I had to start working in a library while babysitting my neighbour's kids.
I was in school back then. I worked many odd jobs so at least we had one decent meal a day.

I scored a scholarship that kept me from quitting school to working full-time. My scholarship allowed me to get admission to the best college, where in two months, I'll be graduating.

Currently, I am working at a cafe and a supermarket. Yesterday I got my final pay from the cafe as they were shutting down for some financial reasons.

But I won't be hunting for another job now as I don't have to pay medical bills anymore. It will help me to spare some time to focus on my upcoming exams. I need to graduate with honours so I can get a stable job in my dream company.

🌻🌻🌻

They say life is unpredictable. Never knew it was so true but a little warning or some hint would be appreciated before life throws all my plans down the drain.

It threw a curveball at me 13 years ago. It turned my whole life upside down.

Another curveball rang my bell at 8.30 pm today. I was surprised when the bell rang because I had no family, no friends or no enemies who would bother me.

"Miss Knight?" two men standing at my door asked.

"Yes, who are you?" I questioned back.

"We are sorry for your loss Miss Knight. I am Smith and he is Paul. We are your mother, Camila Knight's creditors." they said shocking me.

"C-creditors?" I asked again.

"It would be better that we sit and talk, Miss Knight." they invited themselves in and settled on the couch. The only furniture I owned. I dragged a chair and sat in front of them.

"Since you seem unaware, let me state the facts from the beginning for you Miss Knight," Paul said.

"One year ago, your mother came to us, begging for money, requesting us to give her a loan of 50000 dollars. We agreed and you may remember signing up to be her guarantor." what the hell... Why I had no idea about all this bu**$**t.

"I am the guarantor?" I was baffled.

"Mrs Knight had no job or any security to pledge, so we needed a guarantor. Here are the papers that both of you signed." Smith handed me the documents.

It was indeed signed by me. I had no idea when she manipulated me to sign these. It was probably in the pretension of some medical reports.

"What did she do with all this money?" I thought aloud.

"That not our concern miss. We just want our money back. This is the last time I am talking so humbly with you. You won't like my methods next time so please return our principal amount with interest." he threatened me.

"I-i don't have enough money? I stuttered.

"I am feeling generous today so I'll give you 6 months to pay off your debt. Your total debt is 50k plus 25k interest. So we'll collect an instalment of 25k dollars every two months from you." Smith said.

"25k for interest is too much." I protested.

"It's all written in the paper very clearly Miss. You should have read thoroughly before signing. By the way, my men aren't very patient, so don't be late. We will take our leave now." Paul said and they both left after bringing a hurricane into my life.

I don't want to curse a dead person but God, what bad did I do to deserve a mother like her? She never played a mother's role in my life. I earned for both of us, I arranged groceries, cooked, cleaned and did everything while Mother just did I don't even know what.

I need a break.

I thought I would finally be free of any burden but no my so called can't see me in peace and happy.

How long do I have to stuggle? It's been 13 years already.

13 long f***ing years.

🌿🌸Author's Time🌸🌿

Chapter 1 is done. What do you think?

QOTD: What's the theme of your Wattpad- Black, White or Beige?

Mine is Black.