Chapter 4

Roxanne's (P.O.V)

I went straight home after I had dropped Sunny off at her apartment.

I was really glad that she came over realizing it really made my night.

I knew she was going to ask me why I sat next to her in class today. I should've thought about what I'd tell her when she did, because she didn't seem satisfied with any of my answers.

I wanted to tell her the real reason why I had sat next to her but I just couldn't. At least, not yet. But I also hated lying, so I stuck as close to the truth as possible.

She really did seem lonely though. In class, she would always look nervously around and give people what seemed to be a nervous smile anytime she made slight eye contact with them. It seemed like she wanted to be around people and make friends, but like she said, she just didn't know how.

Tonight, she did seem more loose than she did in class. It seemed like she was trying to get out of her shell, and I could tell that the dance took a lot for her to do. I know she was on the dance team but something told me that she only liked to dance in front of people when she had to. I think she much prefers dancing alone.

Something was different about Sunny. She wasn't like most girls, at least not the kind of girls I've been around. It wasn't that she didn't have any piercings or tattoos. It wasn't that she didn't wear makeup or tight clothes. It wasn't her physical appearance that was strange. I knew something was different about her but I couldn't really pinpoint what exactly, but it had to do with her personality and it was another mystery to Sunny that I had to figure out.

At the party, I found out a little bit more about her. When we were chatting in the pool, I found out that she had a younger sister living with her mom back in Florida. Her favorite color was blue and she was majoring in social work. When I asked her why she picked that major she looked away and changed the subject. So I knew there was a story there.

On the drive to her apartment I found out even more about her, like how she was adopted and came to America from Africa when she was a month old. She told me how being raised by white folks was hard for her growing up because she never knew how to act. She said that she felt stuck because she always felt like she didn't belong anywhere. She felt like she was too black for the white kids and too white for the black kids. I tried to empathize with her even though I didn't know what that was like, but I knew it must have been a hard thing to deal with.

As I spent time with Sunny, I noticed that she seemed a bit melancholy. That's when I realized that I was drawn to sad girls.

Ivy was a sad girl. She was always depressed from the abuse she had to endure from her parents growing up. Ivy didn't know what to do with all her sadness, leading her to not really know how to cope. So she would get lost in drugs and some other bad stuff to try and take the sadness away.

But when I had talked to Sunny on the drive back to her place she didn't seem anything like Ivy. Sunny told me that when she wasn't doing well she would work out and chill in the library. While Ivy was destructive and sad, Sunny seemed to be just sad.

I looked over at the time and saw that it was almost two in the morning.

I was really tired and needed some Tylenol and good sleep, because my chest was still hurting from what happened in the pool earlier today.

At first, I didn't exactly understand the little incident that happened in the pool. One minute I was holding Sunny. Then the next minute, I was dropping her and going underwater. I was feeling fine then I felt weak and fatigued all of the sudden, and before I knew it I had passed out under water. I didn't faint for long. It was just a quick second, but it still wasn't pleasant to wake up with my mouth full of water. When I had come back up for air everyone was looking at me with a concerned look on their faces, but Sunny's face was the one that had me most worried. She looked terrified and I could tell that I had scared her.