Chapter 3

Sunny's (P.O.V)

"If you're going to be partners with her you need to get to know her," I said. Trying to convince myself not to turn the car around.

I drove around for a while before I pulled up to a big house. There were cars parked in the driveway and by the sidewalk. I parked the car by the lawn and slowly got out. I checked the address one more time to make sure I was in the right place before I made my way to the front door.

I was about to ring the doorbell when someone opened the door. It was a black girl with box braids. She was wearing shorts and a cute white top. "Hi," I said while giving her a smile. She didn't give me a second glance. She walked right past me without saying a word.

'Okay, well this should be fun.' I thought to myself.

As soon as I stepped in the house loud rap music filled my ears. "Sunny!" Roxanne screamed my name once she spotted me from across the room. She was wearing ripped jeans and a crop top. Her hair was up in a bun. She looked really pretty. I waved to her as I made my way to where she was leaning up against the wall. She was surrounded by people. "You made it!" Roxanne said, giving me a hug.

"Yeah," I said casually.

"Sunny, welcome to mi casa," Roxanne said with a big smile on her face. She seemed really happy.

"What? You live here?" I said, looking around the big house. The inside of the house looked really nice, especially when it looked well furnished. There were people everywhere.

"Yes, and these are my friends," Roxanne said as she started pointing to the group of people in front of her.

"Hi," I said while waving to the group.

"Hey, I know you!" a ginger girl from the group said, smiling at me. She had really pretty blue eyes. "You're in my English class."

"Oh really?" I said not knowing what to say. I had no idea who she was. I actually had no clue who anyone in any of my classes were. This was my first year at Berkeley. I was in my second semester and I still didn't know anyone in my classes. I didn't have that many friends and I blame it all on my social anxiety and lack of social skills.

"Yeah, I'm Sandy," the girl said, putting out her hand for me to shake.

"Nice to meet you." I said, shaking her hand.

Before anyone else said anything, someone else called my name. "Sunny?" I looked behind me to where the voice came from when I saw a tall asian guy with a cool mohawk making his way towards us.

"Um...do I know you?" I said once he was close enough to hear me.

"Joey," he said as if I was supposed to know that name. "Joey Rockwell, I'm in your math class. I usually sit behind you in class." The name still didn't ring a bell. "We were in a group project together last semester," he said with a look that hoped I'd recognize him now. I had many group projects last semester with many different people and I didn't care to get to know them. I didn't remember him, but I went along with it.

"Oh, yeah Joey. That's right! I remember you now," I said in a nervous voice.

"Yeah, how are you? I didn't know this was your kind of scene," Joey said.

"It's not," I said.

"Then why are you here?" Joey asked.

"Oh Roxanne invited me," I said pointing at Roxanne. Roxanne gave him a wave.

"I didn't know you two knew each other," Joey said while taking a sip of the drink that was in his hand and giving Roxanne a look that only she would understand.