3 - Touch her, and I'll rip you apart

Selene

Present

He had to find out somehow.

I stared through my car's windshield as Maple sat in the backseat, kicking out her legs as she prepared herself for school.

It was raining today for some reason—not snowing—and I wasn't complaining. It was easier to drive in this, anyway.

I listened as Maple hummed a song she'd been listening to all night; I put headphones on her last night to distract her from mom and dad's yelling. It always scared her, that's why she left and turned.

I did what I did daily and took her to school. She was a bit young, but mom put her in kindergarten already.

I glanced in the rearview mirror while we were at a stoplight, finding her long, black hair falling to her waist as she tipped her head to the side, those big, grey eyes sparkling as she continued humming.

It turned green and I kept going, driving forward for another twenty minutes before I stopped in her school's parking lot.

After placing it in park, I hopped out from the car and circled around to her side, prying open the door to the backseat as Maple gazed up at me, happy.

"Ready?" I said, smiling.

She nodded quickly and caught her things, gathering her teddy bear in her arms as she pulled on her backpack.

She gazed up at me as I kneeled down, lightly kissing her head as she giggled.

"Have fun," I told her. "Just don't bite anyone, okay?"

"Okay, Seeny," she said, hopping up and down a couple times.

I watched as she ran into the school, vanishing with all the other students.

When the doors closed behind her, I turned—about to head to my car—but I stopped.

Bane stood next to the fence of the playground, leaning against it as his eyes settled on me, looking too dark for comfort.

I arched a brow, not bothered in the slightest that he'd been following me, and the fact that Maple was late, so it was just me and him in the lot. "What?" I said.

His gaze moved to the school then back at me.

"Am I supposed to know what that means?" I crossed my arms.

Bane's lashes lowered, and he eyed me with curiosity. "She's a werewolf."

"Duh, clearly." I clapped sarcastically. "Good job! You earned a stalker prize!"

He just rolled his eyes before they settled back on me. "Who is she to you?"

"Why does that matter?" I demanded, suddenly growing stiff.

"Who is she to you?" he repeated, saying it slower so I'd understand, but it only pissed me off more.

I just shook my head. "That's none of your business."

"Who?" he demanded. "I need to know because I've seen her around. I was planning on taking her in to my pack. But I need to know if she's yours."

A familiar spark of anger and protectiveness burst inside me.

"She is," I replied, eyes sharpening as I pointed an accusing finger at him. "Touch her and I will rip you apart. LIMB FROM LIMB."

Bane stood there, unfazed. "Who is she?"

My jaw locked.

"WHO is she?" Bane said again.

I tipped my head up. "If I tell you, will you stop pestering me?"

He just watched me.

I rolled my eyes. "She's my little sister."

He stared, processing this.

"When did she turn?" he said then.

I glared at him. "Two years ago."

"Do your parents know?" he inquired.

I shook my head. "They thought it was a rabid dog scratch and took her to the hospital."

He eyed me. "You watched her turn."

"Clearly." I gave him a "duh" look.

"You've known what I am," he said, "for that long?"

"I'm not stupid." I glared.

Bane just watched me, though he didn't look entirely pleased.

I honestly didn't care.

I just brushed past him, needing to leave now as the heat in his eyes grew.

He caught my arm. "Where are you going?"

I pulled out from his grip, seething. "School. Something you are failing, genius." I smiled and kept walking.

Before I even made it to my car, he snagged my arm and reeled me against the metal, making me gasp.

When I gazed up, his face was inches from mine.

"No one," he growled, "no one talks to me that way."

I stood up to him, making him take a step back when I stared deep into his eyes. "Everyone else is weak. You are a bully. You are a manipulator. I don't take well to those types, Alpha Bane."

His eyes glowed green, and he shoved me to the car, making me gasp. "Don't disrespect your alpha."

I regained my composure in seconds. "I don't belong to you," I hissed. "NO one does. No one even likes you or wants to be your friend, Bane. They're just afraid to hate you because you scare them. It's an act." I shoved him back. "I'm not afraid of you."

He glared down at me. "If you know so much about this world, then you should know the dangers you're putting yourself in while taking care of your sister."

My eyes darkened, knowing where this was going. "She's not joining your pack, Bane."

"I might have to make her," he replied.

I immediately slid a pocketknife from my jeans and flipped him around until his back met the car, and he gasped when his legs buckled, but I held him by the shirt, glaring down at him with the blade pressed directly to his throat.

"I warned you," I told him, gaze sharpening, "touch her and I'll RIP you LIMB FROM LIMB. And your HEAD would be first."

Bane just raised his hands, claiming innocence.

I just separated myself from him and shoved him away.

Right as I opened my car door, I gazed up to find him staring down at me in surprise.

"If you feel the need to claim dominance over me because I'm the only one who stands up to you," I told him, smirking as his eyes narrowed, "maybe go find something that can't fight back—like a tree—and hump it until you feel better. Always works for needy men."

I sent him a sharp look before getting in my car and driving off.