1 - Alpha Bane

Selene

Present

I could feel his eyes on me.

I stared down at my table at the local coffee shop, Defined Tastes; I loved it here because they sold the best chai.

Despite the familiar pound of my heart, I kept my eyes to the book I was reading, trying to look interested in something else.

Every day I came here, he'd be sitting in the same spot two booths behind me. Sometimes he was alone, sometimes he'd be with his friends...

But even with his friends, he'd only be interested in me.

I'd never officially met him, honestly; we went to the same school and had classes together, but he didn't seem the type to talk to me. Every time I tried, he'd ignore me.

I could tell he was getting angry by the tension forming behind me, and I knew very well it was because he wanted me to stare back, but I wasn't going to.

I kept fake reading my book, trying to anger him.

Bane.

Such a little toy.

He should know better than to do this to me. I knew why he was doing this in the first place.

If he had such in me, he should've learned by now that I can play mind games, too... and I'd win.

I smiled down at my book, continuing to slowly sip my chai as I pushed my hair over my shoulder.

Little toy.

As I stared down at my page, I felt the air shift, and I lowered my lashes, knowing what was happening.

And that's when I heard a voice in my mind:

You're a pain. I'm not playing your games, Selene. You're playing mine, and I'm winning.

I smiled down at my book, chills sliding through me at his rough tone.

So, it was true... werewolves could read minds.

I wasn't entirely sure about that... It seemed more of an alpha thing.

Are you sure? I inquired to him, smug that he finally broke through his tough act and showed some temper.

I'm very sure, he replied.

Funny, I said, I hadn't said anything. It seems like you're the one who gave into your ego and actually spoke to me. That's new. I thought you were tough, Bane. Having a little insecurity?

I could kill you right now if I wanted to, he growled.

But you're not. The question is, why?

You think you're ALL that, don't you? he said then, losing his temper as I smiled. It's not all about YOU!

Yes, it is, I replied. And... are you angry, Bane? I'm teasing you on purpose, you know, and it's working. I'd say I'm winning the game whether it's yours or mine.

I chuckled as I heard him start growling behind me.

Like the little dog he was.

You're a bitch, he snarled.

I know. Also... you know you're not supposed to speak to humans through their mind, right?

He was silent for a moment.

I thought that was good ol' werewolf law. Are you breaking it, Bane?

Another moment of silence. How did you know I was a werewolf, Selene?