chapter fifteen

Lara Kane Opens Up About Love, Motherhood, and Pursuing her Dreams

by DI CHRISTIAN ALLAIRE

From Chance Encounter to Forever: The Extraordinary Love Story of Lara Kane and Phil Foden

Lara Kane, the rising star of the music industry and a devoted mother, captivates audiences not only with her melodious voice but also with her inspiring journey. In this exclusive interview with Vogue, Lara shares the heartwarming story of how she met her soulmate, Phil Foden, in high school, and how they navigated the challenges of young parenthood while pursuing their dreams. With grace and resilience, Lara proves that love and ambition can coexist harmoniously.

Vogue: Lara, thank you for joining us today. Your love story with Phil is truly captivating. Can you take us back to the moment you two first met?

Lara: Thank you for having me. Ah, it feels like a lifetime ago now even though it's only been 6 years. We met in the 10th grade when I moved to Manchester and transferred to Phil's school. I remember walking into the classroom, and there he was, sitting with a smile that could light up the room.

Vogue: It sounds like a movie-worthy encounter. Did you feel an instant connection?

Lara: Phil once told me that as soon as I walked into that classroom, he knew he wanted to marry me one day. He said that he was just immediately in love, like love at first sight. I didn't even look at him til our teacher told me to sit next to him. Which was also Phil's plan. Originally he wanted to sit next to his friend, but as soon as I walked in Phil told him to sit somewhere else. But all I can say is that Phil told me that so I wouldn't be so sure about the truth in that. We did end up becoming friends, and as time passed, our friendship blossomed into a relationship.

Vogue: So you and Phil started dating a few months after becoming friends. How did you navigate the challenges of young parenthood while also managing your rising careers?

Lara: Becoming a mother at 19 was definitely unexpected, but it was the most precious gift life could give us. Balancing our dreams with parenthood required immense dedication and sacrifice. We were both driven to pursue our respective careers while providing the best life for our son, Ronnie. Phil's football career took off, and I pursued my passion for music. It wasn't easy, but with the support of our families and a strong bond, we managed to make it work.

Vogue: That's truly remarkable. How did you find the strength to pursue your music career while also being a young mother?

Lara: It wasn't always easy, but I firmly believe that following our dreams is essential for our happiness and growth as individuals and as a couple. I was fortunate to have Phil by my side, encouraging and supporting me every step of the way. We learned to strike a balance, and I am eternally grateful for the unwavering support we received from our families and loved ones. They believed in us when we doubted ourselves. And another good thing is that when we bought our house we turned one room into a studio so I can make music while being home with Ronnie.