zero.

⋆·˚ ༘ *

⋆·˚ ༘ *

PART ONE — CHAPTER ZERO
PROLOGUE.

2016
now

IT WAS A COLD DAY, even for the likes of the middle of autumn. Arkham Asylum stood proud and tall against the distant skyscrapers of Gotham City. The steel gates at the front entrance slowly swung back and forth with help from the wind, producing a squeaky melody from rusty hinges. A swirl of grey hung over the hospital, only growing darker. The clouds were hiding the sun that day, but even if they weren't, it wasn't very likely for it to shine anyway.

Not in a place like this, for a place like this.

The blonde simply known as 'Two-Ten' between the cold walls of the asylum was in the process of dragging her feet on the ground as the guard led her down to the calling booth. Her wrists were in shackles and they were already turning blue. Two pigtails rested on her shoulders that were covered by a cream-coloured jumpsuit. Her eyes were dark and puffy, both from her unhealthy state and the abrupt awakening by the guard not even five minutes ago. Her mind was still wandering, still lost in visions that only dreams had the power to produce.

A heavy sense of dread began filling her bones the closer they got to the end of the hallway. Something had been happening in Gotham. Although they never told the patients anything, things were easily discovered when doctors and guards alike were nervously discussing the outside world together. More men and women bouncing around in silly costumes, threatening violence and whatnot— everyone knew they weren't much to worry about, they were only trying to draw him out of the shadows.

The idea that The Batman was back wasn't an impossible one. He always knew how to stay hidden, even if he had the entire world chasing after him. But if he had returned, it only meant something even worse was out there. Sure, the dark knight was a convicted felon, but before all of that he was just Gotham's protector. Maybe someone hadn't given up on their forsaken city after all.

That feeling in Two-Ten's gut told her today's meeting had to do with exactly that.

The guard unlocked her shackled wrists as they stopped in front of the room and gestured for her to go ahead. The heavy metal door swung open, revealing a line of chairs, phones, glass windows, and the exact same setup looking back at them from the other side.

Two-ten only ever had one visitor nowadays. She hated his visits, not because of him, but because of herself. She didn't want the man who raised her, the man who loved her like her own father should've, to see her as one of them. As one of the freaks, the disgusting people who lived within these walls. So she kept her head down as she approached the booth, slid into the chair, and slowly grabbed the phone connecting her to him.